Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Integrating PHPBB into my template?
SeanWoods
post May 12 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,142

I would like to add a forum to my site http://www.grammarperfection.com/ but would like to keep the existing look I achieve when using my template and would also like to have it use my existing url and not having to host on a 3rd party forum page.

Is phpBB able to do this? I would like for it not to have any phpBB logos or anything. The way the Web Design Group's forum is laid out is exactly what I hope to achieve. I want people to be able to post questions about grammar and have myself or other users answer them.

If not phpBB, is there another forum anyone recommends?

This post has been edited by SeanWoods: May 12 2009, 01:21 PM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post May 12 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

but would like to keep the existing look I achieve when using my template

What do you mean with template? The way you usually customize a forum is thought its style sheet and you can also edit (the HTML bits) in the PHP templates. You can't just use the style sheet you already have, because the selectors won't match and you probably need to style things you don't have in your site.

phpBB files used to be fairly easy to edit. Don't know about the latest version.

CODE
and would also like to have it use my existing url and not having to host on a 3rd party forum page.

phpBB is free. You can install it on your own server.

CODE
I would like for it not to have any phpBB logos or anything.

You are required to keep the copyright notice at the bottom. Other logos you can remove. The one at the top is just a placeholder for the real logo.

If not phpBB, is there another forum anyone recommends?

I like SImple Machines, SMF. It's hell to edit the style sheet though. It basically involve stripping of all classes and IDs and start over. When you find the class for, say, the heading rows on the front page and happily change the background color for it, only to find the class is reused for forum post or something and maybe you don't want their background to be orange. tongue.gif

SMF basically uses a main template for the whole forum, while phpBB uses individual templates for each "page" (the page you see when you post is one template, viewing someone's profile is another and so on). The latter makes for more files, but it's easier to find what you look for.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:07 AM