Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Form problem
CodeKing
post Feb 1 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

I made a page for an assignment. It's a tutorial on how to find the area of irregular shapes. I put this snippet of code in there so the reader can answer review question.

<form action="" name="review" id="review">
<p align="left">What is the area of this shape?</p>
<p align="left">&nbsp;<!-- Image goes here --></p>
<p align="left">
<input name="q1" type="text" id="q1" size="4">
units squared</p>
<p align="left">
<input name="Check Answers" type="submit" id="Check Answers" value="Check Answers" onClick="checkAnswers(this.form);">
</p>
</form>

checkAnswers is a javascript function that reads the value of q1 and compares it to the correct answer. Unfortunately, it also refreshes the page. That erases the values in the form, and because I might add more questions, it would erase their correct answers. How can I have checkAnswers run when the Check Answer button is clicked without refreshing the page?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Feb 1 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

If you just use the text field to collect data for a javascript you don't need a form or a submit button (forms are intended to submit data to server-side programs). Instead you might use this (note that I replaced the submit button with an ordinary button):

CODE
<p align="left">What is the area of this shape?</p>
<p align="left">&nbsp;<!-- Image goes here --></p>
<p align="left">
<input name="q1" type="text" id="q1" size="4">
units squared</p>
<p align="left">
<input name="Check Answers" type="button" id="Check Answers" value="Check Answers" onClick="checkAnswers(this.form);">
</p>

Just note that some javascripts (including yours) use a FORM element's NAME value to identify various form elements, if you want it like that you must put the form tags back (but AFAIK you still don't need the submit button).
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:50 AM