... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> dropdown works in FF but not IE
bjassoc
post Aug 2 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,420

This is an old Frontpage website that will be rebuilt in Wordpress. Trying for an interim solution and having trouble with dropdown menus.

One reason is the site uses a FP webbot for the nav bar at the top. I've replaced the old nav file, header.htm , with a dropdown which is visible in FF but not IE. Can someone help? It's www.humanisticjews.org . The css file is chj.css.

Much appreciated.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
Darin McGrew
post Aug 8 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

FWIW, if JavaScript is disabled/unavailable, and CSS is supported, then your "Home" and "Education" submenus are open and there is no way to close them.
User is offlinePM
wgabrie
post Aug 8 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,279

Since you are converting your site into Wordpress, You should search for a wordpress plugin for drop down menus.

I converted a site to Wordpress before. Basically you let Wordpress generate the list with wp_list_pages, in your header or sidebar theme template page, and you get a drop down plugin to deal with the style and display.

Do you know how to create subpages from wordpress admin panel? You will need to create top level pages (which could contain anything from a full page itself to just a site map with links to the subpages) then under those top level pages you create and organize the sub-pages that will appear under the entry in your menu.

Once you set the navigation menu up it is always updated, and it takes no work because Wordpress will do all the work of listing the existing pages.

This post has been edited by wgabrie: Aug 8 2010, 01:12 PM
User is offlinePM
bjassoc
post Aug 9 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,420

Thank you both. I've devised a workaround for the interim (I think). Good enuf. The problem has kept me from getting serious about the conversion. I know these problems will go away when a CMS takes over.

a friend encourages me to go to joomla rather than wordpress since wp is basically for blogs. He says joomla is much more powerful.
User is offlinePM
wgabrie
post Aug 9 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,279

You should take into consideration the skill level of the people who will be updating the website. You should test out Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, and any other popular cms you may think of, to see which one has a better back end interface for you and your client.

This post has been edited by wgabrie: Aug 9 2010, 07:22 PM
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:20 AM