The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Web design help please?, PNG Transparency Hack in IE????
ian haydon
post Sep 24 2006, 03:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 226

Hi im new, please be gentle. Basically im new to designing and this sort of lark i usually create images for sites on a freelance level. So this site im doing for a friend is a starter. It may not be CSS or the most complex but it looks visually ok, and thats all i carefor at present.

Basically the template for a site im doing can be be seen on the link below:

http://www.focuswebs.co.uk/clients/hollie/

It looks lovely in firefox and is exactly how i planned for it to! However ther two issues i have is that-

Ive just found IE5/6 doesnt support PNG files. Im working with IE7 at home so its my ignorance that let me get this far in without noticing! Is there a way to fix this? Ive heard of some "HACKS" but i wouldnt have a clue about implementing them or which is best? I am using both PNG files in images and repeating BG images(which look fine in firefox).

BAsically if u view it in firefox-this is how i want it in IE.

The other prolem is the bottom of the film reel doesnt line up with the footer? I know FF and IE interpret tables wrong? IS there an easy fix for this?

I appreciate any help you guys can offer - Il b about alot on here as ive read some interesting articles before i joined!

Thanks in advance- IAN
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Sep 24 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(ian haydon @ Sep 24 2006, 10:14 PM) *

Hi im new, please be gentle.

I'll do my best. ohmy.gif

http://www.focuswebs.co.uk/clients/hollie/

Ive just found IE5/6 doesnt support PNG files.

It does, just not alpha (gradient) transparency.

Is there a way to fix this? Ive heard of some "HACKS" but i wouldnt have a clue about implementing them or which is best?

There are hacks. However, I don't see the need for alpha transparency on your page. You should be able to do it with normal images as well.

The other prolem is the bottom of the film reel doesnt line up with the footer?

You'll get a gap in FF too, if you increase user text size. In wide windows some BG images (e.g. "film5.png") will repeat horizontally.

IS there an easy fix for this?

Hard to say. unsure.gif You really should simplify your table layout. Perhaps use a single large BG image for the film roll rather than many slices.

BTW, the random BG image script adds a new BODY tag in the middle of the page, which makes the HTML invalid. It's better to use a script that only changes the attributes of the already existing HTML body tag. Some other errors: http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.c...clients/hollie/

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:45 PM