The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> HTML form on Samsung tablet, weird behavior that goes against described function
Brad Keefer
post Sep 12 2018, 07:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,713

Please forgive me for a first post just asking for help, but I'm really at a loss.

First, full disclosure, I'm a sysadmin, not a dedicated web developer. I know enough HTML & PHP to get started and can google for things I need, but that's about it.

Now, to my issue:

I have coded a small html form that allows preschool students to be checked in by their parents or their teachers. We are accessing the form using Chrome 68 on Samsung Galaxy tablets, What we want to happen is for the parent to be able to hit the enter button on the tablet keyboard and submit the form once they have filled out everything for their children. Based on what I have been reading, this behavior is the default for html forms with a Submit button.

But that is not what we are seeing. Instead of getting a "Go" option for the enter key on the tablet, the button says "Next" and acts as a Tab character, moving the cursor from one input field to the next.

this makes absolutely no sense to me. There are no errors in the logs that I can see, this is just not the expected default behavior from HTML. Code snippets are below:

CODE

<html>
<head>
    <title>Check-In</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="my.css">
</head>
<body>

<form method="post" action="<?php echo htmlspecialchars('process.php')?>">
    <div class="student" style="background-color: #969696;">
       <label for "student01"><b>Donald Blake</b></label>
       <input type="hidden" id="student01" name="student01" value="Donald Blake">
       <input type="radio" name="option01" id="option01a" value="in"><label for "option01a" style="text-align: left;">Check-In</label>
       <label for "option01b">Check-Out</label><input type="radio" name="option01" id="option01b" value="out">
       <label for="notes01">Notes:</label>
       <input type="textarea" rows="1" name="notes01" id="notes01" size="30" maxlength="128">
       <label for="sig01"> Signature: </label>
       <input type="text" name="sig01" id="sig01" size="20" maxlength="80">
       <input type="hidden" name="class01" id="class01" value="3B">
     </div>  

that is the start of my form. all of the students are in a <div></div> block.

The end of the file looks like this

CODE

<div class="student">
       <label for "student46"><b>Pepper Potts</b></label>
       <input type="hidden" id="student46" name="student46" value="Pepper Potts">
       <input type="radio" name="option46" id="option46a" value="in"><label for "option46a" style="text-align: left;">Check-In</label>
       <label for "option46b">Check-Out</label><input type="radio" name="option46" id="option46b" value="out">
       <label for="notes46">Notes:</label>
       <input type="textarea" rows="1" name="notes46" id="notes46" size="30" maxlength="128">
       <label for="sig46"> Signature: </label>
       <input type="text" name="sig46" id="sig46" size="20" maxlength="80">
       <input type="hidden" name="class46" id="class46" value="5A">
    </div>
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
<input type="reset">
</form>
</body>
</html>

Again, based on what I've been reading, as long as the input type of submit is within the <form></form> tags, then I should get teh behavior of getting "Go" for my enter key...

I've been playing around with it some, but have had no luck getting this to work.

I know it's got to be something simple I'm missing, because everythign I'm seeing says that this should just worko as I want it to...

So, what could I be missing?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:56 PM