The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help with using <form> for a search function, building a search query with drop downs
jaffs
post May 31 2009, 03:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,747

Hi guys,

I've used forms before to email collected information etc but I'm trying to do something a little different here and I can't work it out.

I have a search.php function that works ok and I need to pass a search string to it like: <?s=hdtv+lcd+sony+42

I want to generate the "42" and "sony" from dropdown lists and the hdtv+lcd is fixed in the form.

I can get the "hdtv+lcd" by using <input name="s" size="11" value="hdtv lcd" TYPE="hidden" /> but then using the <select></select> code for drop downs I end up with a search string of:

<?s=hdtv+lcd&maker=Sony&size=42&s=Search

Any help would be much appreciated

Kev

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post May 31 2009, 04:32 AM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(jaffs @ May 31 2009, 10:13 AM) *

I need to pass a search string to it like: <?s=hdtv+lcd+sony+42

The "<" character shouldn't be there, otherwise the above should be the result of a single form field named "s", like

CODE
<input type="text" name="s" value="hdtv lcd sony 42">

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Query_string#Structure

I want to generate the "42" and "sony" from dropdown lists and the hdtv+lcd is fixed in the form.

I can get the "hdtv+lcd" by using <input name="s" size="11" value="hdtv lcd" TYPE="hidden" /> but then using the <select></select> code for drop downs I end up with a search string of:

<?s=hdtv+lcd&maker=Sony&size=42&s=Search

Every form element has its own NAME attribute, sounds like you want to combine only the values of several form elements without using their names. This is not directly possible, AFAIK, but you might let PHP (reliable) or javascript (not reliable) put the values together they way you want and send the result to the search function, or even better rewrite the search function.
User is offlinePM
jaffs
post May 31 2009, 05:01 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,747

QUOTE(Christian J @ May 31 2009, 10:32 AM) *
sounds like you want to combine only the values of several form elements without using their names. This is not directly possible, AFAIK, but you might let PHP (reliable) or javascript (not reliable) put the values together they way you want and send the result to the search function, or even better rewrite the search function.

Thank Christian, I thought I was trying to oversimplify the issue. I'll have a look at creating a php solution.

Kev
User is offlinePM
Brian Chandler
post May 31 2009, 07:14 AM
Post #4

Jocular coder

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(jaffs @ May 31 2009, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Christian J @ May 31 2009, 10:32 AM) *
sounds like you want to combine only the values of several form elements without using their names. This is not directly possible, AFAIK, but you might let PHP (reliable) or javascript (not reliable) put the values together they way you want and send the result to the search function, or even better rewrite the search function.

Thank Christian, I thought I was trying to oversimplify the issue. I'll have a look at creating a php solution.

Well, it's not even necessary to "create a php solution" -- all you need to do is modify the php script you have to accept the various inputs and assemble them into a single search string. If the program you have is properly documented and well orgainised, this should be very easy. (If it isn't well organised, I recommend throwing it away and finding a better one.)
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:49 PM