Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Interactive Site, Where to start?
KristinK
post Jul 31 2007, 12:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,508

OK- up until now, I have been using tables to make websites. I know it's not a good idea so I want to do it right this time. Here's what I want to do- I want a main page with text on the left half of the page and an interactive map on the right half, with a header at the top. The map could be a jpg, then possibly launch Flash when it is clicked. I am very much a beginner in all of this- so this will be a challenge. But I am curious if anyone has suggestions on where to start.
First- do I need to know CSS? (I know it means Cascading Style Sheets- but that's all I know.)
Should it be a flash site- or is that considered bad practice?
Is it a bad idea to have the map be a flash movie- or Shockwave? (new to this too- not QUITE sure of the difference, but I know how to make one)
Do flash sites have longer download times?
Do most browsers support them?
And would it be better to have the interactive map originally as a jpg- that links to the flash file- or should it be interactive as the main page opens?
Hope this question wasn't too confusing and I appreciate the advice in advance! I know this is "HTML help"- but HTML is harder than Flash!
Kristin
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post Jul 31 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE(KristinK @ Jul 31 2007, 10:14 AM) *
First- do I need to know CSS? (I know it means Cascading Style Sheets- but that's all I know.)
That would be a very good idea. See the FAQ entry Where can I learn about CSS?

Should it be a flash site- or is that considered bad practice?
Is it a bad idea to have the map be a flash movie- or Shockwave?
Even on a site that is all about the Flash (e.g., a Flash game site), it's a good idea to have a real HTML-based web site, using the Flash only for the part that needs the functionality of Flash.

Do flash sites have longer download times?
Flash and other multi-media content takes longer to download than text-based formats (e.g., HTML, CSS, JavaScript).

Do most browsers support them?
Yes, but they can all turn off Flash. For example, I've configured my browser to disable Flash (and JavaScript, and Java, and other geegaws) when visiting unknown, untrusted sites.

And would it be better to have the interactive map originally as a jpg- that links to the flash file- or should it be interactive as the main page opens?
I think it would be better to have a welcome page that doesn't depend on Flash, but if the point of the site is the Flash functionality, I don't see anything wrong with including the Flash in the welcome page, so those with Flash enabled can get started right away.
User is offlinePM
KristinK
post Jul 31 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #3

OK- Thank you for the input. I will get started on CSS.
So I have another question for you- If Flash is turned off from unknown sites, are you prompted when you get to a page with Flash to turn it on? Are you allowed to view the rest of the site? I don't have any experience with this.
Now here's an opinion question- The site doesn't completly need the Flash map. It will be a tourist site with advertisting on things to do and places to see. I think the map is more of a bonus. So now what do you think- Should I have the map as a jpeg that links to Flash?
Thanks again for your help
K
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jul 31 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #4

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE(KristinK @ Jul 31 2007, 10:54 AM) *
If Flash is turned off from unknown sites, are you prompted when you get to a page with Flash to turn it on?
No.

Are you allowed to view the rest of the site?
For completely Flash-based sites, I see the same thing as search engines see: a blank page. Normally, I just close the browser window/tab when I hit such sites.

For sites that use Flash appropriately, I can still view the rest of the site. If there's information about the Flash functionality, then I might even enable Flash.

So now what do you think- Should I have the map as a jpeg that links to Flash?
What does the site look like when Flash is disabled? Can you use an image as alternative content for the Flash?
User is offlinePM
KristinK
post Jul 31 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #5

Yes- I can use an alternate image. That's what I will do. Thanks again- I have flash and everything turned on so it's good to know what it looks like otherwise.
K
User is offlinePM
Peter1968
post Jul 31 2007, 06:51 PM
Post #6

Serious Coder

Member No.: 213

QUOTE(KristinK @ Aug 1 2007, 03:54 AM) *

OK- Thank you for the input. I will get started on CSS.
So I have another question for you- If Flash is turned off from unknown sites, are you prompted when you get to a page with Flash to turn it on?

My answer differs from Darin's - I don't get a prompt per se, but a box with a little "F" in it to show that there's Flash there. If I click on the F, the Flash loads and starts.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433

User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:49 PM