The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> none resizing pages, how do we keep pages with divs form resizing?
Derlin
post Jul 26 2007, 11:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,388

Hey, I'm using divs and css to make my page layout. But one problem is that my header is an image, so when i resize the window thats displaying my page, all the divs and stuff try to squeeze together so that I can still see the width of the page no matter how small the browser window is or how long the page gets (cause when you squeeze stuff it gets longer and narrower).

I was wondering what the code was that made it possible so that your page is always the size of the screen its displayed on. For instance,
msn.com. Even if you resize the browser window, the page itself will not resize, instead, you will have to scroll both side-to-side and up and down to see parts of the page in a smaller browser window.

Is that effect possible using css and divs? or is it soemthing that only table page layouts can do?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Derlin
post Jul 26 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #2

I figured it out, nevermind. Sorry for wasting anyones time. It turns out it was because I was using em units to size my divs. i changed them to pixels and they stopped resizing!
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jul 26 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #3

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE(Derlin @ Jul 26 2007, 09:25 AM) *
I figured it out, nevermind. Sorry for wasting anyones time. It turns out it was because I was using em units to size my divs. i changed them to pixels and they stopped resizing!
That is not a good thing.

See also the FAQ entry For what screen size should I write?

(And note that modern browsers can force your fixed-width layout to adapt to the available display area regardless of what you do.)
User is offlinePM
Derlin
post Jul 26 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #4

How is this a bad thing? Could you explain it a bit more? From the faq link you gave, I gleaned that my page may be a bit too big, but thats all.
User is offlinePM
Derlin
post Jul 26 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #5

Actually, after reading a bit more, I know to perhaps make my font not in absolute sizes, but why is making th page layout a definite size that bad when compared to it goign all buggy when I do resize it?
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jul 26 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #6

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Well, a layout that goes "all buggy" when resized is worse than a fixed-width layout, but ideally the layout will adapt to whatever size display area is available to it (without going "all buggy").
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:21 AM