Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Security & Priveleges, Help with HTML allowing/refusing access
retiredfirefighter
post Oct 25 2016, 01:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,878

Have a client that is wanting to have 4 people able to access and modify as needed specific pages. They would like only those specific pages secured either by logging in or entering a password. The rest of the site would have to have some command to secure everything else as well (Yes?) Is this possible with HTML? To me (the Super-Novice I am smile.gif this sounds like a J-Query function. Is either one correct?

Thanks in advance!

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
retiredfirefighter
post Oct 25 2016, 01:15 PM
Post #2

oops I meant Java Script....
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 25 2016, 02:14 PM
Post #3

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Neither HTML nor JavaScript.

Exactly how are those people going to modify those pages?
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 25 2016, 04:15 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(retiredfirefighter @ Oct 25 2016, 08:13 PM) *

Have a client that is wanting to have 4 people able to access and modify as needed specific pages.

How skilled are these 4 people in modifying pages? How much of each specific page are they allowed to modify --plain text only, text+HTML, raw code?

They would like only those specific pages secured either by logging in or entering a password. The rest of the site would have to have some command to secure everything else as well (Yes?) Is this possible with HTML?

Such applications are often called a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_content_management_system and are not possible with HTML alone. Often readymade blog software is repurposed for this.

User is offlinePM
retiredfirefighter
post Oct 25 2016, 05:21 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Christian J @ Oct 25 2016, 04:15 PM) *

QUOTE(retiredfirefighter @ Oct 25 2016, 08:13 PM) *

Have a client that is wanting to have 4 people able to access and modify as needed specific pages.

How skilled are these 4 people in modifying pages? How much of each specific page are they allowed to modify --plain text only, text+HTML, raw code?

They would like only those specific pages secured either by logging in or entering a password. The rest of the site would have to have some command to secure everything else as well (Yes?) Is this possible with HTML?

Such applications are often called a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_content_management_system and are not possible with HTML alone. Often readymade blog software is repurposed for this.

Well they are looking at using Joomla I guess and figure they wont need to know HTML, only the person designing the site. They asked if I knew and had no clue.
User is offlinePM
retiredfirefighter
post Oct 25 2016, 05:23 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 25 2016, 02:14 PM) *

Neither HTML nor JavaScript.

Exactly how are those people going to modify those pages?

I am assuming it is going to be updating homework assignments, teachers' notes, etc. The person doing the work is going to be using Joomla and asked if I knew anything. Told her no clue but would ask. Thanks
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 25 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #7

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

I meant if they were going to do it through some kind of web form, as Joomla probably offers, or if they were going to edit static HTML pages directly.

So Joomla it is. I've never used Joomla, so I don't know if it offers a way to give different privileges to different groups of people. Maybe ask at their forum if you don't find anything in the documentation.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:16 AM