The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> rouble with uploaded site & links/images, Having trouble getting links & images to work (something to do wit
lifeguard23
post May 14 2007, 11:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,812

I'm going to try to explain this as clear as possible using example, even though I'm really not exactly sure what the problem is.

I've redone website I have using Dreamweaver. This is the first time I've used anything other than FrontPage). I've actually got the page exactly how I want it (locally), however I'm having some troubles with the links and images displaying properly now that it's been uploaded. Some information regarding the site:
Under Site Manager:
Local Root Folder: d:\my documents\New Web
Default Images folder:d:\my documents\New Web\images
Links Relative to: Site Root
http address: www.lifeguardhome.com

Other Info:
Registered Domain Name: www.lifeguardhome.com (redirection to my host)
Host: www.teamantons.com/~lifeguard
(it's a friend's site who has allowed me to use an area (the ~lifeguard directory) for free hence I don't want to switch it over to somewhere else.
Test Host: lifeguardhome.fateback.com (works perfect!!)

Like I said, all the pages work fine when I open them up locally. SO then I decided I would upload the files to a free site for testing (before I overwrote the current site). So I uploaded everything to http://lifeguardhome.fateback.com and EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECT (note: I haven't uploaded everything under the downloads section, but obviously all the links and stuff that HAVE been uploaded work fine).

So then I uploaded to my current server (www.teamantone.com/~lifeguard) and although all the pages show up, none of the links or images are showing up properly. The best I can figure is that is has something to do with the "/~lifeguard" folder off of the actual host (www.teamantons.com). This seems to be adding an extra sublevel into the equation which is wrecking all the links). Here are some direct links to different areas of the site so you can check them out and see if you can figure out the problem:

www.teamantons.com/~lifeguard/comps.htm
www.teamantons.com/~lifeguard/downloads.htm
www.teamantons.com/~lifeguard/comps/2003.htm
www.teamantons.com/~lifeguard/comps/barnsley/1993.htm
www.teamantons.com/~lifeguard/guarding/mynls.htm
www.teamantons.com/~lifeguard/guarding/procedures/cspine.htm

As you can see when you hover over a link on the right hand side (all my sublinks), they DO NOT reference the /~lifeguard/ subfolder which is necessary for the link to work. In the fateback.com site I mentioned earlier there is no /~lifeguard/ subfolder so everything works fine.

Does anyone have ANY help on how I can get Dramweaver to correct this? It's obviously very frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by lifeguard23: May 14 2007, 11:27 AM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post May 14 2007, 11:34 AM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Some of your links use href="foo" and some use href="/foo". These are different.

Please see the FAQ entry How can I avoid using the whole URL?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:24 AM