Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Script for embeddable comments on web pages
Jack Marco
post Apr 24 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,293

Hi Experts,
I'm desperately looking for a very simple script to copy and paste into some pages on my website. A very simple script that would allow vistors on my website to drop their comments and have these comments immediately displayed right on the same page under a given article - like in blogs for instance.

A script displaying the Comments Form right above all comments would be very satisfying for me. I just need a very simple Comments Form with the following fields or areas:
1. - Name: where the user should write his / her name.
2. - Comment field: where the user should write his / her comment.
3. - And then of course the "SEND" button. That's all.

NB.: Since my website is in French I would really appreciate having "NAME" and the "SEND" button stated in French. "NAME" is "NOM" and "SEND" is "ENVOYER" in French.

Thanks in advance for all your great help.

Jack Marco

This post has been edited by Jack Marco: Apr 24 2010, 05:23 PM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Brian Chandler
post Apr 25 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #2

Jocular coder

Member No.: 43

No, a "comments form" is not enough. You need a script to manage the comments, normally in a database. Unfortunately, issues like spam mean that very simple-minded scripts are not useful, but you could start by searching for something like "wiki comments script php mysql".

This belongs in "server scripting" really...
User is offlinePM
Frederiek
post Apr 25 2010, 03:41 AM
Post #3

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 9

It can also be done in javascript : http://js-kit.com/ , though you'd rely on javascript being available. And there are the security issues, such as the one Brian already pointed out.
User is offlinePM
Brian Chandler
post Apr 25 2010, 04:02 AM
Post #4

Jocular coder

QUOTE(Frederiek @ Apr 25 2010, 05:41 PM) *

It can also be done in javascript : http://js-kit.com/ , though you'd rely on javascript being available. And there are the security issues, such as the one Brian already pointed out.

Obviously, any page can be embellished with as many javascript tricks as you care to imagine, but no, a comments system cannot be "done in javascript" unless the comments only appear on the computer of the person who posted them. You need, as I said, some kind of database system to store the comments in.

The site you link to is presumably providing a remote hosting service for the comments. Well, that's another approach, as long as both you and your commenters don't mind trusting yet another source with their email addresses. Do you *know* that "js-kit" are trustworthy?

The easiest way to harvest email addresses for spamming is to provide a wonderful free service, with no ads, no ostensible plausible business model, where everyone just keeps supplying you with lists of confirmed email addresses and relevant keywords. Hmm.
User is offlinePM
Frederiek
post Apr 26 2010, 03:35 AM
Post #5

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 9

It's only something I once found and tried out, just for fun.
User is offlinePM
Jack Marco
post Apr 28 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #6

To Brian & Frederiek,

Thank you both for your great help. I've been trying JS-KIT now in 2 days since Frederiek provided the link and it's the kind of tools I was looking for. It can be customized - though with a paid version - so that users won't have to disclose their email addresses or log in their FB or TW accounts to be able to post a comment. And that solves all the problems Brian Chandler was point out to me.

I really appreciate your help.

Jean-Jacques

QUOTE(Brian Chandler @ Apr 25 2010, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Frederiek @ Apr 25 2010, 05:41 PM) *

Obviously, any page can be embellished with as many javascript tricks as you care to imagine, but no, a comments system cannot be "done in javascript" unless the comments only appear on the computer of the person who posted them. You need, as I said, some kind of database system to store the comments in.

The site you link to is presumably providing a remote hosting service for the comments. Well, that's another approach, as long as both you and your commenters don't mind trusting yet another source with their email addresses. Do you *know* that "js-kit" are trustworthy?

The easiest way to harvest email addresses for spamming is to provide a wonderful free service, with no ads, no ostensible plausible business model, where everyone just keeps supplying you with lists of confirmed email addresses and relevant keywords. Hmm.

User is offlinePM
Brian Chandler
post Apr 29 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #7

Jocular coder

Thank you both for your great help. I've been trying JS-KIT now in 2 days since Frederiek provided the link and it's the kind of tools I was looking for. It can be customized - though with a paid version - so that users won't have to disclose their email addresses or log in their FB or TW accounts to be able to post a comment. And that solves all the problems Brian Chandler was point out to me.

Hmm. Perhaps I have totally misunderstood, but at first glance this makes no sense at all: you mean that with the paid version, anyone can just post a comment, without any email check? So the paid version is *less* secure against spamming and so on? So why do they provide this service free just if you supply them with a list of email addresses?

How carefully did you check out "JS-Kit"? Does their website provide a plausible basis for them offering this service? Do they say exactly who they are? Do they give any convincing undertakings about not selling the list of email addresses they collect if you use the "free" version? What does their Whois information say?

User is offlinePM
Jack Marco
post Apr 30 2010, 06:34 AM
Post #8

You got a point here, Brian but JS-KIT seems to be trustworhty to my understanding. I still need to see through some of the aspects that you're referring to because they are very crucial. However I've explored several websites around the internet to see who uses their service. TECHNORATI does for instance - you can check it out through the following link: http://technorati.com/blogging/article/day...w-of-blogging1/

I would prefer the paid version (just $12 / year), customize it by removing the option that forces users to provide their email addresses or log in first to their social network accounts before being able to post a comment. In fact people are more likely to post a quick comment on a page / blog when not asked to go through a bunch of ennoying requirements such as email submission, random numbers og letters submission ect............. I can always remove unwelcome messages at any time.

Thanks.

Hmm. Perhaps I have totally misunderstood, but at first glance this makes no sense at all: you mean that with the paid version, anyone can just post a comment, without any email check? So the paid version is *less* secure against spamming and so on? So why do they provide this service free just if you supply them with a list of email addresses?

How carefully did you check out "JS-Kit"? Does their website provide a plausible basis for them offering this service? Do they say exactly who they are? Do they give any convincing undertakings about not selling the list of email addresses they collect if you use the "free" version? What does their Whois information say?
[/quote]
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:41 PM