The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CSS HTML Safari - Chrome failures, Need advice on HTML code that is mysteriously no longer working
Number1
post Oct 17 2012, 07:04 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,963

Just discovered that the corporate site I've authored for the past 14 years is out of date. Didn't have web access from about 2007 until just recently. (No telling how long it will last, either.)

The issues at present are that Safari and Chrome are not displaying some of the text that has worked fine in the past.

http://www.seco-larm.com/LinkedContentsFromCatalog11.htm

I'm reasonably certain that this has to do with either some syntax that is no longer kosher with these browsers or a case of elements that are deprecated and no longer supported. Some other individual product pages are failing to render the table background colors that should alternate - think greensheet computer paper. Instead, they are showing at black text on white.

Any help would be appreciated.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Oct 17 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

What text isn't displaying? I only have Iron, but it should be the same as Chrome without the spying and I think I can see all text.

You have quite a lot of errors though, not so few of them table related, so I'd look into that.
http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.c...s&input=yes

There are CSS errors also, but they don't look like they woud cause any mayor problems. You can ignore the errors for proprietary properties, but don't ignore the ones about negative values. They won't break the page, but you probably need to know about that.
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validat...ng=&lang=en
User is offlinePM
Number1
post Oct 18 2012, 12:06 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Condensed Security Products Catalogs
2012 English Condensed Security Products Catalog .pdf .zip
2012 Spanish Condensed Security Products Catalog .pdf .zip
2012 Chinese Condensed Security Products Catalog

The bottom three lines in the table are showing up in my coworker's latest Safari and Chrome browsers as white on white, and in the phone versions of the same browsers as black on white, when it should be white text on dark grey background.

Thanks for the validator link. I corrected a bunch of problems based on that.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 19 2012, 01:16 AM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Right at the top? I see that both in Iron and Safari Windows. Hope Frederiek sees this. She's on a Mac.

I'd continue with the errors. Those errors on line 15 and 16 could stop your style sheets from working. And don't comment out your doctype as you've done!
http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.c...p;input=yes#L45

I see now that the table errors I talked about are for embedded JavaScript. If you embed JS you need to escape the slashes in HTML tags it writes. You do that with a backslash.
Instead of
CODE
</p>

you write
CODE
<\/p>

The HTML JS writes could also cause this problem if it is around the problem spot.
User is offlinePM
Frederiek
post Oct 19 2012, 03:42 AM
Post #5

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 9

I'm afraid I see those lines at the top (not bottom) of the table as white text on a grey background. As intended, no?
User is offlinePM
Number1
post Oct 19 2012, 10:46 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Thanks

Frederiek - white text on grey is good.

Pandy - will follow up on your comments. Don't expect any immediate changes to view, as I have to save the changed pages to the company server. Eventually someone who is <i>in favor</i> will upload to the actual website. I don't yet have Chrome, as I'm not allowed to download any applications, altho I'm told that someone will do it someday.

Interesting that those line 15, 16 errors didn't stop access to the CSS. More benevolent coddling from ma MicroSoft, I would guess, with the result that every other browser has to try to match all the internal second-guessing that lets invalid code run regardless. Would that they might just show us the problems, which IE obviously flags internally. Same for the js backslashes.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:41 AM