Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dynamic List Display
Tracy134
post Dec 29 2008, 09:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,422

I maintain a very simple website for my church. I want to add a new page but I'm not sure how to approach it. I've stretched into the recesses of my memory from a web course I took many years ago and have been poking around online re: some things I vaguely remembered like xml, dtds, etc… I'm sure there is a wealth of information online but I'm at the stage of not quite knowing enough, at present, to know how to ask the right questions. I haven't been able to find any kindergarten-level examples yet, which is what I need given my current level of web knowledge.

Here's a description of what I want to do:

I have a series of URLs that can be classified by N attributes. I want to be able to specify the classification once and then display it sorted as a list by the N attributes in any order. Here I created some fictitious data that has classifications of interest for each URL (sample data.doc) and is displayed in the possible sort orders (sample.doc pages 1 and 2). Here for classifications, n=2, location and category; each URL can belong to 1 city but many categories. Right now n=2 but theoretically it could be 3,4 (a small, but unknown, # at present).

Ideally the user would select the display order ad-hoc (in this case location/category or category/location) on a single page and the info would display below, but if this is complicated I would be satisfied to provide one static html page per possible pre-defined sort order, since I don't anticipate more than 2-4 sub-categories.

I have books on Javascript and XML. I've looked through them, but they don't have many examples. I would appreciate advice. A simple code example to point me in the right direction would be ideal.

Many thanks.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Sample.doc ( 43.5k ) Number of downloads: 257
Attached File  Sample_Data.doc ( 39.5k ) Number of downloads: 228
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post Dec 29 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

It sounds like you need some sort of database-driven system. See Philip and Alex's Guide to Web Publishing, especially the chapters on "Sites that are really programs" and "Sites that are really databases".
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:28 AM