The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Differences in IE and Firefox, DIV placement issues (mainly)
WeatherStorm
post Sep 30 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,945

I am so fed up!! I've been trying to understand this by myself, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere - if someone could help me, that would be fantastic. smile.gif Anyway, to the problem. The issue is WeatherStorm.org. I was very lazy and instead of creating my own layout, I used a premade one and edited it, so I don't understand it as well as I would had I done it all myself. In Firefox, everything is looking exactly as I want it to. However, when I open it in IE, the side bar is below the blog content, it is slightly too far to the left, and the font is incorrect. I tried to use the font script that I generally use, but it made the font in Firefox go mad. If anyone knows which part of the script it is reading differently and why, please tell me!

I've just realised that this might fit better into 'Website Functionality' - really sorry if it's in the wrong place!

This post has been edited by WeatherStorm: Sep 30 2007, 12:17 PM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
WeatherStorm
post Oct 9 2007, 05:45 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,945

Okay, I have now edited it so that both the HTML and CSS check out okay in the validators. I have also been through the ENTIRE code to see if there are any 'loose ends' - i.e. DIVs left open, too many end tags, closing a particular DIV in the wrong place, etc - and discovered that there are none.

The only thing I could spot was that perhaps it had something to do with a confusion about related tables - for example, "col2" and "right" relate to each other, but then "content" has been put inside of it as well. Would IE have trouble reading this? I'll explain a little better.

The CSSsays:

.col2 .right

But in the coding, it looks like this:

<.col2>
<.right>
<.content> information here </.content>
<.right>
<.col2>

(of course, without the full stops/periods.)

However, I thought that because even the font is incorrect in IE, that perhaps it was having trouble reading the style sheet. As I have already posted the CSS above, can anyone see anything that would be interpreted differently in IE?
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Oct 9 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #3

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE(WeatherStorm @ Oct 9 2007, 03:45 AM) *
The CSSsays:

.col2 .right
That selects an element with class="right" inside an element with class="col2", which appears to be what you have in your HTML.

QUOTE(WeatherStorm @ Oct 9 2007, 03:45 AM) *
However, I thought that because even the font is incorrect in IE, that perhaps it was having trouble reading the style sheet. As I have already posted the CSS above, can anyone see anything that would be interpreted differently in IE?
In what way is the font "incorrect" in MSIE? I would think that it would be more likely that better browsers would render it differently than you expect, because they could enforce a minimum font size. Using "font : 62.5% ..." for the body element is just perverse.
User is offlinePM

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:08 AM