Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Basic HTML, How to Run HTML
HizNibz
post Nov 17 2018, 07:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,754

I have some HTML (from my existing website) that I would like to preserve. My website is about to be overwritten by a new version and I would like to save the existing Home Page, in case I would like to recreate it in the future.

I have saved the code in Notepad++ v7, saved with the .html file extension, but when I right click on the file in File Manager, then click on open with Chrome, instead of *displaying the page (albeit, no doubt at the moment with pictures missing), it just shows the raw html text such as "[vc_row layout="wide"][vc_column el_id="home-2"][rev_slider_vc alias="Slider1"][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row layout="wide" " etc. That is the vert beginning of the saved code, shouldn't it start with {<html-> etc?

How do i *run the code, please. to see the visuals??

Thank you very much,

HizNibz
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Nov 17 2018, 09:36 AM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(HizNibz @ Nov 17 2018, 01:08 PM) *

I have saved the code in Notepad++ v7, saved with the .html file extension

Sounds right. Make sure it's not saved as .html.txt, just in case.

instead of *displaying the page (albeit, no doubt at the moment with pictures missing), it just shows the raw html text such as "[vc_row layout="wide"][vc_column el_id="home-2"][rev_slider_vc alias="Slider1"][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row layout="wide" " etc.

Not sure what you mean with "raw html text", but the above is not HTML, it looks more like a scripting language. If it's ordinary javascript/jQuery that's probably not a problem (assuming you save all the files).

That is the vert beginning of the saved code, shouldn't it start with {<html-> etc?

It depends on how the page is created, and how you saved it from the web server.

If you saved the files with an FTP program and the HTML is generated by a server-side scripting language (such as PHP) you'll need to run a local web server on your computer in order to view the HTML. But if you viewed and saved the HTML source from a web browser it may not matter how the HTML was generated.

For more definite advice, please post the URL.
User is offlinePM
HizNibz
post Nov 17 2018, 04:17 PM
Post #3

ok, perhaps if I explain my current dilemma, you'll be more able to help me?

I'm am an ex-film make-up artist and I'm trying to get a website up and running selling LED Mirrors, Guys Grooming Kit and Makeup for Girls.

The full URL is https://www.your-mirror.co.uk

It is based on a WordPress, Envato Yolo Furniture Store Template, with add-ins from WooCommerce.

I love the subtlety of the Home Page Above the Fold -- but the rest of the web site is a bit of a mess.

So I have (rather reluctantly) signed up to go with Yell.com, who offer a complete package of website, SEO, Review Management, Help with Social Media etc.

But they can't offer a similar level of sophistication that WordPress can, with its Slider Revolution slow Zoom and Call to Action Animations.

I am having to settle for Static Images, with standard Fades between them -- but i figure this is a sacrifice worth making if it gets me traffic and orders.

So I have signed up for a year and when the New (Yell) website goes live imminently, it will overwrite the existing one.. it will be the same domain name -- your-mirror.co.uk

So what if a year or longer down the line, having absorbed all that Yell has to offer I want to recreate y beloved and subtle Home Page Above the Fold?

I want to be able to give a suitable web-developer SOMETHING (html code I thought, and say to them, OK recreate that for me.

So, my real question is how can I encapsulate the Present Your-Mirror Above The Fold Home Page, so that it could be resurrected in the future, if i wanted to do it?
User is offlinePM
HizNibz
post Nov 17 2018, 04:52 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(HizNibz @ Nov 17 2018, 09:17 PM) *

ok, perhaps if I explain my current dilemma, you'll be more able to help me?

I'm am an ex-film make-up artist and I'm trying to get a website up and running selling LED Mirrors, Guys Grooming Kit and Makeup for Girls.

The full URL is https://www.your-mirror.co.uk

It is based on a WordPress, Envato Yolo Furniture Store Template, with add-ins from WooCommerce.

I love the subtlety of the Home Page Above the Fold -- but the rest of the web site is a bit of a mess.

So I have (rather reluctantly) signed up to go with Yell.com, who offer a complete package of website, SEO, Review Management, Help with Social Media etc.

But they can't offer a similar level of sophistication that WordPress can, with its Slider Revolution slow Zoom and Call to Action Animations.

I am having to settle for Static Images, with standard Fades between them -- but i figure this is a sacrifice worth making if it gets me traffic and orders.

So I have signed up for a year and when the New (Yell) website goes live imminently, it will overwrite the existing one.. it will be the same domain name -- your-mirror.co.uk

So what if a year or longer down the line, having absorbed all that Yell has to offer I want to recreate y beloved and subtle Home Page Above the Fold?

I want to be able to give a suitable web-developer SOMETHING (html code I thought, and say to them, OK recreate that for me.

So, my real question is how can I encapsulate the Present Your-Mirror Above The Fold Home Page, so that it could be resurrected in the future, if i wanted to do it?

Attached File  Y_M_HOME.html ( 8.73k ) Number of downloads: 517
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 17 2018, 06:03 PM
Post #5

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

So how did you go about saving that?

Is it just the home page you need to save? View Source, copy what you see and save it as .html. Or use your browser's built in feature to save a page. Depends on what browser you use, but something like File | Save Page As. Choose "Compete Webpage". You'll get images and all.
User is offlinePM
HizNibz
post Nov 17 2018, 09:40 PM
Post #6

Brilliant, Pandy. EXACTLY what o e was after!!! ))

Hugs!!
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 18 2018, 03:50 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(HizNibz @ Nov 17 2018, 10:17 PM) *

Wordpress sites use server-side PHP scripts and a database, frankly I'm not sure how to save a site like that. You could always reinstall the scripts and addons in the future, and just save your site's own unique content (a backup of the database?), but again I don't know how.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 18 2018, 03:53 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 18 2018, 12:03 AM) *

Is it just the home page you need to save? View Source, copy what you see and save it as .html. Or use your browser's built in feature to save a page. Depends on what browser you use, but something like File | Save Page As. Choose "Compete Webpage". You'll get images and all.

Note that this only saves the static HTML pages generated by Wordpress. It doesn't save the content files or database entries. But if the former is all you're interested in keeping it's by far the easiest way.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 18 2018, 03:57 AM
Post #9

🌟Computer says no🌟

If one wants to save the whole site I guess the templates and a backup of the database should be saved. Better also keep a copy of the WP installation so the same version can be ran or the templates might not work if there has been a major update.
User is offlinePM
HizNibz
post Nov 18 2018, 05:09 AM
Post #10

Thank you both very much for your inputs.

Any ideas how one would go about saving templates and a backup of the database? Plus also how to keep a copy of the WP installation?

This post has been edited by HizNibz: Nov 18 2018, 05:09 AM
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 18 2018, 12:48 PM
Post #11

🌟Computer says no🌟

Christian sneaked in and posted basically what I was going to say while I was carefully crafting my post. rolleyes.gif Didn't mean to repeat what was already said. wink.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 18 2018, 12:55 PM
Post #12

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(HizNibz @ Nov 18 2018, 11:09 AM) *

Thank you both very much for your inputs.

Any ideas how one would go about saving templates and a backup of the database? Plus also how to keep a copy of the WP installation?

It's mySQL, right? There's a shell command called mysqldump. There should be scripts around that do the dirty work for you (I assume you don't have shell access). It could also be built in in your control panel. And there may be other tools too. Haven't done it in several years so I'm not sure.

Google "backup mysql database" to start with - and search your CP for backup options!
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 18 2018, 04:38 PM
Post #13

Maybe this could be useful also: https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:10 AM