Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problems with internet connection
pandy
post Aug 7 2019, 06:40 PM
Post #1

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Setup: desktop computer connected to router with cable.

This morning I couldn't get on the net. I saw the little computer icon in the tray told me No Internet Access. Looked at the router and the ethernet diod (or what it's called) showed it was not connected. Turned out the network cable on the back of the modem was a little loose. Pushed it in, the icon turned green as it should be, but the computer still said no Internet Access.

I remember it used to be important to start the router before the computer, something that should be obtained (to do with IP addresses, I think) is stored for some time somehow, so if it can't be obtained because there is not yet an internet connection, that state can sort of stick. Remedy was to turn off the computer for half an hour (or disconnect it from the router) and that always helped. Doesn't help now. Everything has been off for more than 6 hours this evening.

Googling the problem I found two command line tricks that are supposed to help. They did not. But here they are.
CODE
netsh winsock reset catalog

CODE
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

I know it's not an ISP problem and I know the router works. I can connect my phone to the wireless network just fine.

So now I have a very odd setup. My PC is connected to my phone with USB tethering. And my phone uses the fiber broadband by connecting to the router with wifi. I'm certain the fiber broadband is used, since the phone's data usage hasn't gone up in spite of me watching a movie on online telly.

Oh, an odd thing. While the PC is connected to the phone it tells me the usual network is also connected. Alas that doesn't last when I disconnect the phone.

Help! wacko.gif

Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
CharlesEF
post Aug 8 2019, 01:23 AM
Post #2

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,088

Do you have a different ethernet cable to try out? Maybe cable between computer and router is bad?
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Aug 8 2019, 05:27 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(pandy @ Aug 8 2019, 01:40 AM) *

Turned out the network cable on the back of the modem was a little loose. Pushed it in, the icon turned green as it should be, but the computer still said no Internet Access.

Why did the cable get loose in the first place? The router's connector (or soldering inside) might have become damaged in the process. It seems unlikely that the cable would get loose enough to break the connection, at the same time as something unrelated occurred with the internet connection.

If the router connector is broken and you don't want to repair or get a new one, maybe you could get a wireless netword card for the computer instead. unsure.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 8 2019, 08:17 AM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

I doubt very much that the connector or cable is bad.

The cable wasn't all out, it just wasn't all the way in. I don't understand how that happened since the construction is such that is clicks in place. Maybe it was never all the way in and it took very little for it to loose contact?

I could buy a new router and a new cable. But I really don't think it's a hardware problem. For instance, when I got this pesky Windows10 I didn't find an easy way to disconnect from the Internet without unplugging. So I installed one of those small programs that lets you quickly disconnect. It also tells me if the Internet is off or on. It tells me it's on. It doesn't do that just because the cable is plugged in. If I unplugg the network cable to the router it immediately tells me the internet is off.

As said, I've had this problem or similar before, both with this computer and others, but it has always helped to turn the computer off and wait a while before trying again.

Maybe something should be done with the router software. It's been so long since I did something to it so I'll have to google how to connect to it. Or maybe I could try one of the other ports on the router. I'm just afraid that would confuse things even more if the problem is with Windows.
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Aug 8 2019, 12:23 PM
Post #5

Programming Fanatic

To turn off internet connection in Windows 10 you need to open 'Control Panel'. Find and open 'Network and Sharing Center'. Once open you will see a section that lists your active networks. In the network information shown you should see a something called 'Connections' (mine shows 'ethernet' because I'm connected by a cable). Click on 'ethernet' and a dialog will open. At the bottom is a button called 'Disable'. Click it to disconnect from the internet.

To enable it again just look at the left side and click 'Change adapter settings'. Once clicked you should see a list of all networks. Right click on the one you disabled and click on 'Enable'. You should now be connected again.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 8 2019, 12:32 PM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

Yes, I know. But that isn't what I call an easy way. I.e. a quick way. Earlier we could just rightclick the ethernet icon in the tray.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Aug 8 2019, 12:50 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(pandy @ Aug 8 2019, 03:17 PM) *

The cable wasn't all out, it just wasn't all the way in.

But you wrote it turned green when you pushed it in? That seems to prove it wasn't connected properly before, or?

I don't understand how that happened since the construction is such that is clicks in place. Maybe it was never all the way in and it took very little for it to loose contact?

Could be. Or do you have any pets that could have tampered with it?

As said, I've had this problem or similar before, both with this computer and others, but it has always helped to turn the computer off and wait a while before trying again.

Seems there has been a lot of lightning across the country the last few days.

Maybe something should be done with the router software. It's been so long since I did something to it so I'll have to google how to connect to it.

Doesn't the ISP update it? If it's your own, maybe it has unpatched security holes.

User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Aug 8 2019, 02:58 PM
Post #8

Programming Fanatic

QUOTE(pandy @ Aug 8 2019, 12:32 PM) *

Yes, I know. But that isn't what I call an easy way. I.e. a quick way. Earlier we could just rightclick the ethernet icon in the tray.

Not sure if it's any easier but you can right click on the internet icon in the system tray and click on 'Open Network & Internet settings'. Scroll down and click on 'Change adapter options'. Right click on the internet icon and click on 'Disable'. To turn it back on just click 'Enable'.

BTW, I have seen ethernet cables go bad before. Most of the time it is because animals chew on the cable, but not all the time.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 8 2019, 03:35 PM
Post #9

🌟Computer says no🌟

I think it's easy with the little program that sits in the tray.

Yeah, but the cables are fine. It was a software problem, not a hardware one.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jul 30 2020, 06:25 AM
Post #10

🌟Computer says no🌟

Neither can I. Sorry I didn't update the thread with the solution when it happened. Now I don't remember what it was, more than it was a Windows problem and I found a fix. blush.gif
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:08 PM