Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Google and hate lists
pandy
post Mar 9 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #1

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Christian is probably the only one that knows about this, but Google has been in the news a lot lately here in Sweden.

Someone has created an antisemitic "hate list" with names and info about Swedish Jews, all well known people with positions mostly in finance and media. There's a typical blurb about "Jewish power", but no threats. Just some facts like what they do and have done for a living and sometimes if they have been a member of some political party. It's not like Sweden is a deeply antisemitic country and these people are hiding. I knew all but a few of them were of Jewish origin, so no big secret there. And so what? Who cares?

Now there is an outcry, google should remove the site from their search results. They have refused so far. They have agreed to remove the site from the results when you search for specific names. First they did that for two of the names and now I think they've done it for all names involved, but they still refuse to remove the site from the results when you use other search terms.

The site is easy enough to find. It's on wordpress.com .

What amazes me is that as hate sites goes, this one is pretty lame. And what the heck does it have to do with Google? Call wordpress.com if you think the site should be removed! It's on their servers, not Google's.

Don't misunderstand me now, I don't like hate sites, no matter what group of people the hate site is about. I have absolutely nothing against Judaism, if anything I find it and Jewish culture interesting. If a hate site is very offending and in some way a threat to the people it targets, then maybe it should be removed. Physically removed from the server it lives on, not just the from searches.

So should Google and other search engines start to police the internet and censor it? I say no, and I don't understand how anyone can see it differently. And why is everyone mad at Google alone? The site can be found through the other SEs as well. Of course it can.

I'm no longer a fan of Google, but that's for totally other reasons than that they to their job and indexes what's out there.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
CharlesEF
post Mar 11 2018, 01:57 PM
Post #2

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,088

Firefox still supports the old way (about:config) of turning off Javascript. No add-on needed. See this page.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 11 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #3

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Thanks! Dunno why you need to be a super user. Why not just put it on a menu? Oh, I forgot. Menus aren't cool anymore. ninja.gif
User is offlinePM

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:38 PM