Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> site traffic help, [merged threads]
leadsgr
post May 12 2007, 09:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,798

I need help! Please do not redirect me to another help site. I've read everything and I'm just not smart enough to get it. So please help me get beyond page 8 and into the top 30 of mainly Google search engine results. Visit http://badcar-dealer.blogspot.com I've been taken advantage of by this dealership and this is the only way I feel I can get thru to them.
Thank you in advance!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post May 13 2007, 06:20 AM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

META keywords are ignored by search engines, so don't bother with them. Your HTML contains many errors including two TITLE elements.

please help me get beyond page 8 and into the top 30 of mainly Google search engine results.

For what search terms? This query makes your site show up as #2, other search terms will of course return different results.

Make your site's text content relevant to someone searching for opinions on the company you are writing about. Words like "beware", "experience", "problems" etc might be useful (especially in a page's TITLE or headings), but again this assumes the user is searching for these terms.

Perhaps you want someone searching for only the company's name to find your site? Then you probably need links from other influential sites in order to increase your Google Pagerank (links from this forum do not work, though!). The only reliable way to achieve that is to make interesting content, maybe also post your site to respected directories like DMOZ (which may or may not include it).

Please do not redirect me to another help site.

Why not? It's much easier than rewriting the same text again. tongue.gif

I've read everything and I'm just not smart enough to get it.

It's not difficult, see for yourself: http://htmlhelp.com/feature/seo/
User is offlinePM
leadsgr
post May 21 2007, 08:05 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Christian J @ May 13 2007, 07:20 AM) *

META keywords are ignored by search engines, so don't bother with them. Your HTML contains many errors including two TITLE elements.

please help me get beyond page 8 and into the top 30 of mainly Google search engine results.

For what search terms? This query makes your site show up as #2, other search terms will of course return different results.

Make your site's text content relevant to someone searching for opinions on the company you are writing about. Words like "beware", "experience", "problems" etc might be useful (especially in a page's TITLE or headings), but again this assumes the user is searching for these terms.

Perhaps you want someone searching for only the company's name to find your site? Then you probably need links from other influential sites in order to increase your Google Pagerank (links from this forum do not work, though!). The only reliable way to achieve that is to make interesting content, maybe also post your site to respected directories like DMOZ (which may or may not include it).

Please do not redirect me to another help site.

Why not? It's much easier than rewriting the same text again. tongue.gif

I've read everything and I'm just not smart enough to get it.

It's not difficult, see for yourself: http://htmlhelp.com/feature/seo/

Thank you, you've helped me understand more but still, it seems though I'm running in circles. Most of my design was already plugged in by blogspot. Also I added something from google to check it somehow. I've attached a text document that I've changed some to make better than originally.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  badcar.txt ( 12.01k ) Number of downloads: 524
User is offlinePM
leadsgr
post May 21 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #4

My goal on site traffic is if people are looking to buy a new or used car from this dealership, I'd like my blog to pop up when they look for the name of the dealership Spitzer or if they live in the surrounding area.
See the attachment for the document as it is now. I've tried to analyze the site but omg! So many things I still just don't get.
Todd unsure.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  badcar.txt ( 12.01k ) Number of downloads: 307
User is offlinePM
leadsgr
post May 21 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #5

Please visit http://badcar-dealer.blogspot.com I'm making changes as we speak but being my first html, the errors from the validator have me on a goose chase. I've copied and pasted alot and now I've found errors that are like the energizer bunny. Please take a look at the file below and feel free to edit. I'm so confused but feel like I'm getting somewhere.
My goal is to have the searching folks for Spitzer Chevy, in North Jackson Ohio for a new or used car to see my web site pop up when they search for spitzer, spitzer chevy or any variation of the search as you'll see in the meta tags, etc.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  badcar.txt ( 12.01k ) Number of downloads: 332
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 21 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

Lets take a couple of them.
http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.c...s&input=yes

Line 5: Error: end tag for element META which is not open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of elements
META has no end tag. Remove it.

Line 6, character 85:
... ,used car' name='description'/>
^Warning: net-enabling start-tag; possibly missing required quotes around an attribute value

In the doctype you say you use HTML 4.01 Transitional, but you partly use XHTML syntax. Those ending slashes have nothing to do in HTML. Remove. That will take care of most of the errors. Fix this first and validate again because this type of error can spawn other errors that go away when the first error is fixed.
User is offlinePM
leadsgr
post May 22 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(pandy @ May 21 2007, 11:10 PM) *

Lets take a couple of them.
http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.c...s&input=yes

Line 5: Error: end tag for element META which is not open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of elements
META has no end tag. Remove it.

Line 6, character 85:
... ,used car' name='description'/>
^Warning: net-enabling start-tag; possibly missing required quotes around an attribute value

In the doctype you say you use HTML 4.01 Transitional, but you partly use XHTML syntax. Those ending slashes have nothing to do in HTML. Remove. That will take care of most of the errors. Fix this first and validate again because this type of error can spawn other errors that go away when the first error is fixed.

Thank you, but when I remove the ending slash "/" I get an error like this
Your template could not be parsed as it is not well-formed. Please make sure all XML elements are closed properly.
XML error message: The element type "meta" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "".
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post May 22 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #8

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

It sounds like whatever is parsing your template expects XHTML, so you're stuck using XHTML rather than HTML. In that case, you should use an XHTML doctype declaration rather than an HTML doctype declaration.
User is offlinePM
leadsgr
post May 28 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #9

Visit Google - and look up Spitzer Chevy. My site used to be on page two. Then I made more changes and went back to oblivion. unsure.gif
I still need more help. I've found out the blogspot.com uses xhtml, and I've been jumping back and forth (copy and paste) from html and xhtml. Can anyone help me to remove the junk and put in good stuff?
Thanks in advance
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 29 2007, 06:57 AM
Post #10

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

Google doen't care if yo use XHTML or HTML.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:58 AM