Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What is an algorithm?
pandy
post Jul 22 2018, 02:07 AM
Post #1

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Well, I know what it is, sort of. But I've never understood the difference between a (computer) algorithm and a short procedural program or script. Thought it's about time I find out. cool.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
CharlesEF
post Jul 22 2018, 11:18 PM
Post #2

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,088

I will admit that I don't know the 'official' meaning but I have always understood that a algorithm is a mathematical formula to perform a specific task. I wouldn't consider a computer program or script an algorithm.

Think about the day of the week. You could write a program or script to determine the day of the week. However, that program/script may be quite large. If you used an algorithm then you would only need a few lines of code. The algorithm would be the function call in that program/script.

I hope I haven't confused you more.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jul 23 2018, 12:48 PM
Post #3

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(CharlesEF @ Jul 23 2018, 06:18 AM) *

I will admit that I don't know the 'official' meaning but I have always understood that a algorithm is a mathematical formula to perform a specific task. I wouldn't consider a computer program or script an algorithm.

Think about the day of the week. You could write a program or script to determine the day of the week. However, that program/script may be quite large. If you used an algorithm then you would only need a few lines of code. The algorithm would be the function call in that program/script.

I hope I haven't confused you more.

Well, I was already confused so... tongue.gif

So you mean an algorithm is part of a program rather than a standalone program? But in that case, isn't it just a subroutine?

BTW I know there were math algorithms before there were computers, but I have no ambitions to understand those. tongue.gif
User is offlinePM

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:21 PM