Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Web Design, Too many choices... Help
Rating  5
Streakk
post Mar 6 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,993

I have used Front Page to make a website in the past but it is limited. I wanted more interaction such as access to databases, do surveys, ect. I have read that php is not that compatible with front page, they suggest using asp.net. I started reading tutorials on all the different languages out there. I am somewhat familiar with C# but not for web development. I am at a point now where I am lost... There is html, C#, ASP.Net, php, XML, Javascript, plus a few I probably forgot. What is the easiest to use together? Can all the languages be used together? Are there some problems using certain languages together? What should I focus on?

Please Help Me
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post Mar 6 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Well, LAMP refers to the combination of Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP (or possibly Perl or Python). Java (servlets, not applets) and C++ fit into this environment too.

Anything you do on the web will use (X)HTML, and probably CSS and JavaScript as well. The big differences come in the server-side systems.
User is offlinePM
geoffmerritt
post Mar 6 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,394

I have used Front Page to make a website in the past but it is limited. I wanted more interaction such as access to databases, do surveys, ect. I have read that php is not that compatible with front page

I could be generalising here, but I would suspect that most coders of web pages will be using a text based editor environment, saving, and then viewing on a browser... and then have multiple browsers (chrome, ie7, firefox, safari, opera) to check that the page looks ok.

asp/php server side script argument.... asp = microsoft.... end of argument :-)

A lamp based server, as Darin describes, are generally more popular than a microsoft server, so your skills will be used on a broader scale, hosting on a lamp based server is generally cheaper than a microsoft server.

To create a interactive web page, I have the following knowledge, html, css, javascript, php, and mysql.
User is offlinePM
curtain-raiser
post Mar 8 2009, 02:08 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,008

i dont think you can run all above things on same page as many require different plateform. I am using LAMP as it very easy to use other language features like java etc, so use Lamp as on Linux server and use its GD library i think, You can develop all these online features with it.
Also i recommend you to use Dreamwever as you can work in many languages with that and make browser supported pages.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:29 AM