... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Need Web Hosting with thousands of gigs of bandwidth
nWo Sting
post Feb 22 2007, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 709

I need a web hosting company that offers a lot of bandwidth, at least 1000 GB to start, but hopefully they have higher plans if my bandwidth increases. Anyone know of a company that has a fair pricing plan for a lot of bandwidth? thanks
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Effovex
post Feb 22 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #2

Serious Coder

Member No.: 1,477

John Pozadzides recommended 1and1 the other day, and it does look quite great. Their home plan offers 1,200 Gigs of bandwidth for 5$ a month.
User is offlinePM
nWo Sting
post Feb 22 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Effovex @ Feb 22 2007, 11:43 AM) *

John Pozadzides recommended 1and1 the other day, and it does look quite great. Their home plan offers 1,200 Gigs of bandwidth for 5$ a month.

Thank you very much, that site is awesome. They even have a plan that goes all the way up to 3000 GB. Thanks a lot.
User is offlinePM
CodeKing
post Feb 23 2007, 11:09 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 118

If you haven't bought the 1&1 hosting yet, lunarpages.com offers the 3000 gigs of transfer, unlimited storage, and lots of other goodies such as free SSL certificate for only $21.95
User is offlinePM
nWo Sting
post Feb 25 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(CodeKing @ Feb 23 2007, 10:09 PM) *

If you haven't bought the 1&1 hosting yet, lunarpages.com offers the 3000 gigs of transfer, unlimited storage, and lots of other goodies such as free SSL certificate for only $21.95

Thanks, no I havent switched servers yet. I am planning on switching in about 7 days. This looks like a great hosting company as well.
User is offlinePM
fanlly
post May 25 2007, 02:26 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,792

you can go to the hostguide website,a lot of hoating are directed there.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 25 2007, 04:36 AM
Post #7

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

http://webhostingtalk.com
User is offlinePM
JamieHarrop
post May 25 2007, 09:40 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 570

QUOTE(Effovex @ Feb 22 2007, 05:43 PM) *

Holy crapola! $3.74 a month for 120gb space and 1,200gb data transfer is their current price!!! I'd feel safer if I was lodging with a psychopathic pedophile. Sorry, but that kind of budget hosting is as good as throwing your life away. Talk about overselling! I can almost guarantee you that if you ever use that full 1,200gb of bandwidth, 1&1 will throw you off the server and in the gutter so fast you won't know what hit you. The space/data transfer figures we're talking here would fill the average dedicated server if they were used completely. You would expect to pay anywhere from $100 a month to $500 a month for a dedicated server of this nature. This is *not* the type of specs a host should be promoting as "shared Web hosting" and giving away for $3.74! Seriously, I've seen overselling at its best before, but this time I'm in utter shock. I had a double take and compared our own hosting packages with 1&1 just to make sure I was really seeing 1,200GB and not MB.

I know 1&1 are a big company, but that is no damn excuse for offering packages like that. If this wasn't Web hosting and it was a more "sane" industry that was monitored by a governing body, you can bet your Web sites ass that 1&1 wouldn't be able to get away with offering packages like that.

nWo Sting, all I can say is that if you do intend to use all that bandwidth (or space), be prepared for 1&1 to throw you off their server and off their client list. The fact is, if you use it all, there won't be much left for all the other clients on that server. Offering such huge figures like this is total marketing mouth-wash. They will never let you use it all. Over at WebHostingTalk (Which Pandy linked to) we see people being throw off servers by budget Web hosts like 1&1 all the time. People think these companies who offer a whole boat load of resources are giving away a fantastic service, but once somebody actually uses the resources to their full potential, they get rear ended by the Web host and are left with nothing.

QUOTE(CodeKing @ Feb 24 2007, 04:09 AM) *

Well, need I say anything other than "Is unlimited storage available already? In 2007!? You're kidding, right?". No, unlimited storage doesn't exist. Again, total marketing mouth-wash. rolleyes.gif

If you want quality Web hosting with "thousands of gigs of bandwidth", you need to start looking at dedicated server options, and not shared Web hosting.
User is offlinePM
Effovex
post May 25 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #9

Serious Coder

I'd be tempted to agree except for the fact John said he was hosting several blogs there (albeit on a dedicated server)
User is offlinePM
JamieHarrop
post May 25 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Oh, I have no question that 1&1 are a half decent Web host when it comes to dedicated servers, but offering those kind of specs as a shared hosting package is crazy. smile.gif

I'm sure if John was trying to push the same resource usage on a 1&1 shared account as he does with his dedicated server (which is exactly what 1&1 pretend to offer, looking at their shared resource limits), his experience with 1&1 would be a whole different story. wink.gif
User is offlinePM
JamieHarrop
post May 25 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Reading my post back, it may have come across like I was having a go at Effovex and CodeKing for posting those referrals, but that wasn't my intention at all. My rant was aimed solely at the idiots among 1&1 and LunarPages who degrade the Web hosting company to a point where... well, where it stinks. smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Effovex
post May 25 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #12

Serious Coder

...but you're working on the assumption that they'll cut you off if you approach the limit, which I can't find evidence for.

1and1 appears to have bad customer service, and I've found some horror stories about their billing department, but from what I can find the actual service is stellar. So as long as you don't require millions of files, keep your account paid (and remember to change your credit card info after changing credit card) and don't need technical support, you'll be perfectly happy with their service - I found one horror story about horrible downtime in January and February but I've also found several stories praising the reliability of the service, so the downtime for that person might have been a fluke.

User is offlinePM
JamieHarrop
post May 25 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Oh, absolutely, Effovex. My post was assumption, but it was assumption based off my four years of reading horror stories from people who have used a host that is overselling its services like 1&1 do, and once they use most of those resources, they get cut off.

The fact is, not even 1&1 can give somebody 1,200gb on a shared server. Think about it... if 1&1's servers have a total of 10,000gb of transfer coming to each one, and each server has four hard drives which total 1,000gb of space, they are only going to be able to sustain 7-8 customers on that server if they all use their maximum allocation (if using the "home" package). If they have eight customers on that server, they are bringing in $29.92 per month for that server (Without upselling their customers on other products). Bandwidth costs alone will be much more than $29.92 a month, plus whatever your staff and data center costs are for that particular server.

It's simply not possible for anybody to make a profit from offering that many resources for that price, if people use all the resources avaliable. As a result, they'll be swiftly booted off the server to make way for 100 more customers who pay the same price but only use a tiny fraction of the resources they have supposedly being offered by 1&1 when they purchased the package.

I'm not saying for certain 1&1 will boot them off, but experience tells me they will, and frankly, all business sense tells me they will (I mean, who's going to run a server that's not making a profit?).

Of course, 1&1 will upsell some of their customers on other products, and increase their profit per server that way, but the percentage of customers who will purchase other products is likely to be so low that it doesn't make much of a difference.
User is offlinePM
Effovex
post May 25 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #14

Serious Coder

It probably isn't sustainable if everyone uses the whole thing. But 95% of their customer won't use it. But that doesn't mean the 5% who do will be booted.

There are just so many sites that have a small audience and minuscule hard drive requirements. These people could pay 4$ a month for a site that offers them a reasonable amount of bandwidth for their needs, but then they'll see 1and1 and go "OMG! Why pay 4$ for 10GB of transfers and 1GB of hard drive space when I could pay 4$ for 1,200GB and 120 GB of hard drive!"... and then 1and1 will have the sale. It's like Gmail offering 1GB of space... just about no one will ever use that much, but it's a powerful marketing tool... and for the couple people who actually need that much, well, it was a small price to pay to get the other billion users.
User is offlinePM
JamieHarrop
post May 25 2007, 01:20 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Effovex @ May 25 2007, 06:08 PM) *

It probably isn't sustainable if everyone uses the whole thing. But 95% of their customer won't use it. But that doesn't mean the 5% who do will be booted.

There are just so many sites that have a small audience and minuscule hard drive requirements. These people could pay 4$ a month for a site that offers them a reasonable amount of bandwidth for their needs, but then they'll see 1and1 and go "OMG! Why pay 4$ for 10GB of transfers and 1GB of hard drive space when I could pay 4$ for 1,200GB and 120 GB of hard drive!"... and then 1and1 will have the sale. It's like Gmail offering 1GB of space... just about no one will ever use that much, but it's a powerful marketing tool... and for the couple people who actually need that much, well, it was a small price to pay to get the other billion users.

Absolutely! That's exactly my point. smile.gif 1&1, and every other Web host who oversells their service, rely on their customers using 5% (Or however many percent) of their supposedly allocated resources. The fact is, 1&1 and most other Web hosts who oversell, cannot guarantee their customers 1,200gb of bandwidth and 120gb of space. It simply isn't possible to guarantee every single customer that amount of resources. So, my point is, why should 1&1 (and the other hosts who do this) be allowed to get away with it? Isn't it false advertising, hence, marketing mouth-wash? smile.gif

Having said that, airlines do the exact same thing. They bank on passengers not turning up (Who are these passengers who don't turn up for their flight? unsure.gif ). Airlines generally book more passengers on to a flight than they have room for on the plane.

I dunno. It all just seems very unfair to me. I mean, wouldn't you be really annoyed if everybody turned up for their flight and you were declined a place that you rightfully booked? It's the same with Web hosting. When everybody, apart from you, uses their resources, you suddenly find you're getting errors in your FTP client telling you there is no space left on the server despite your package saying you have 20gb of space left, or worse still (like in most cases) you're one of the customers who uses all your allocated resources, and you're declined the service altogether in the form of being booted off (It happens on a regular basis).

Crazy world. blink.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 25 2007, 01:46 PM
Post #16

🌟Computer says no🌟

That situation will never arise. The term overselling doesn't really apply to a company like 1&1. They are HUGE. The average host has a few racks of dedicated servers at best. For a small company heavy overselling can be very risky. For 1&1 it's hardly any risk they won't be able to meet the demands.

Nevertheless, I too have heard horror stories about their support. There are a bunch of threads at webhostingtalk. Last I heard the word was that if you can do on your own they are fine. If you need help from time to time, look somewhere else. Now, this is all hearsay, of course, and should be taken as such. tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
JamieHarrop
post May 25 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

That situation will never arise. The term overselling doesn't really apply to a company like 1&1. They are HUGE. The average host has a few racks of dedicated servers at best. For a small company heavy overselling can be very risky. For 1&1 it's hardly any risk they won't be able to meet the demands.

I admire your confidence, Pandy. 1&1 are huge (The largest European provider, last I heard), but I still don't see how they can handle a 1,200gb data transfer and 120gb of disk space on a *shared* server. I have to believe they would request that the client upgrade to a dedicated server if they are using so many resources (And up goes your bill, from $4 to ~$300-$400).

Like I say, it's all speculation, and we'll never know unless somebody walks on down to WebHostingTalk and writes a good ol' rant, but I'd certainly put my bet on an upgrade to a dedicated server or a boot off the 1&1 network. smile.gif

Nevertheless, I too have heard horror stories about their support. There are a bunch of threads at webhostingtalk. Last I heard the word was that if you can do on your own they are fine. If you need help from time to time, look somewhere else. Now, this is all hearsay, of course, and should be taken as such.

Yup, that seems to be the be all and end all of their service. FWIW, I've used their service once previously (A Web design client was hosted with them, and no amount of British sweet talk would make them change their hosting service to our own). My only complaint was about their control panel. It positively stunk, IMO. It was enough to make me cringe every time I saw it. laugh.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 25 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #18

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(JamieHarrop @ May 25 2007, 09:04 PM) *

I admire your confidence, Pandy. 1&1 are huge (The largest European provider, last I heard), but I still don't see how they can handle a 1,200gb data transfer and 120gb of disk space on a *shared* server. I have to believe they would request that the client upgrade to a dedicated server if they are using so many resources (And up goes your bill, from $4 to ~$300-$400).

They'd just move that client or the other accounts on that server to another server. It wouldn't hurt their wallet as it would for a small host. Not many will go over the transfer limit before they go over the number of file limit or use an unfair amount of processor cycles or whatever other limits there are.

The argument against excess overselling is that the server will eventually suffer and the host will go down in the end. Neither will happen to 1&1. Besides, everyone oversells. Nothing wrong with that as long as it's kept at a reasonable level and the host can get the extra hardware when and if it's needed. The hosts that don't oversell at all either have just a few customers or they can't do their math.
User is offlinePM
JamieHarrop
post May 25 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

The hosts that don't oversell at all either have just a few customers or they can't do their math.

Oh boy, you just opened up a whole new can of worms... because we don't oversell, we can do our math, and we do have plenty of customers. biggrin.gif

We just don't compete on price, like 95% of other Web hosts do. So, not *all* Web hosts oversell. There isn't a need to do so if you offer a premium service at a price that reflects that service. smile.gif
User is offlinePM
John Pozadzides
post May 26 2007, 04:16 AM
Post #20

WDG Founder

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

Gang,

I'd like to chime in with a few comments:
  • I have had, and still do have a shared account with 1&1 in addition to my dedicated server. The performance of that site is variable. Sometimes it's pretty quick, sometimes a bit sluggish, but never as fast as my dedicated server.
  • I've never experienced a web service interruption in years and years with them, however their mail servers have issues all the time on the shared services. Never lost any mail, but sometimes you can't send/receive for a while.
  • I believe, like Jamie, that their huge offers are far too good to be true. If you are attempting to use a huge amount of bandwidth what they will likely do is shove you onto a server with other people trying to do the same. Your performance will suck, you'll leave, and that's the end of that.
It would be utterly foolish to try to actually host any domain that is expected to have the kind of traffic previously discussed on any shared service. No provider on earth is going to let you, but I would encourage anyone who is not afraid of putting their site at risk to attempt to do so and then report back to all of us exactly what happened.

It should be noted that there are a lot of web hosting companies that read these forums and not a single one has posted a response here inviting someone to sign up and use all their capacity.

John
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:11 PM