The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Multiple pages with only one, is it possible?
Mavid Yaldares
post Sep 12 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,738

PictureAlbumLink: http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/xx12/MavidYaldares/

PS: If you wish to skip a long story on the past few days of my life and move right away to the problem, simply skip the fenced text.

Hi, over the past weeks I have been trying to make a website and miraculously, without any coding skills or knowledge, I was able to get fairly far with almost no interruption or difficulties. That is, up till now.

When I tried to set up my site/codes on my free host (weebly), I encountered total chaos. Pages wouldn’t link to each other, images laid scattered a bit everywhere, and I was left under the impression that all those long hours of work had been for nothing. sad.gif

Luckily, a friend of mine, who was slightly more skill than me in the matter, decided to look over my site’s script and codes. After rearranging most of them and telling me to never try making a website again, he than explained to me what was the only thing that could be done if I was to ever be able to post my work. Unfortunately, he had no idea how to complete this last step although he was pretty sure that it could be done.

So, this is, in short, why I’m now seeking the help of whoever is willing to offer it.

I require an html code/script that would permit me to have multiple pages of information while only actually having one webpage.

What I mean by this is that, (because of various reasons), I can only have one page on my website, so I need to find a way to counter this.

I was proposed to turn my entire webpage into only one background image, within which my banner and buttons would be drawn. This background would also have a large, blank, box shaped area were one would assume text should be. (Please refer to the pictures)

What I need is a code that would do the following; when someone clicks on one of the intended buttons on the left side of the page, a text box would appear in the large box shaped area. This should be a scrolling text box, able to have pictures or videos from exterior sources embedded into it.

Also, another script would be required so that when the Webpage first loads, one is presented with the text that would be showed by the HOME button.

I already have a code for a scrolling text box;
<div style="width: 615px;height: 575px;overflow:-moz-scrollbars-vertical;overflow-y:auto;">

What I would need is one that would place the box in the desired space/area, be activated when the proper button is pressed (just like with a page link), and be erased when another button is pressed, so that it leaves room for a new text box.

Hopefully, someone will be able to understand what I’m trying to say. tongue.gif

Attached to this message are 2 pictures; one is the actual background page, the other one is meant to clarify this mess of a request.
(http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx12/MavidYaldares/TheHelpMeTemplate.gif)
(http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx12/MavidYaldares/ParanoiaSecretPage.gif)

Thanks in advance wink.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Sep 12 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

You're friend said that this peculiar many-pages-in-one thing was the only way you could do it? He was wrong.

If your site worked before you uploaded it, it sounds to me like the only thing wrong was the URLs in links, IMG tags and so on. Why not just fix them?
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Sep 13 2009, 04:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Mavid Yaldares @ Sep 12 2009, 11:55 PM) *

I require an html code/script that would permit me to have multiple pages of information while only actually having one webpage.

You might use something like http://www.alistapart.com/articles/eatcake/ but isn't this a more complicated solution than the original problem (whatever it might be)? I see nothing on weebly.com saying you must only have a single page in your site.
User is offlinePM
Mavid Yaldares
post Sep 13 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,738

To answer both of you;

pandy : "If your site worked before you uploaded it, it sounds to me like the only thing wrong was the URLs in links, IMG tags and so on. Why not just fix them?"

Well that was indeed part of the problem, which is what my friend mostly fixed. The thing is that... (continue to Christian J's answer)

Christian J : "I see nothing on weebly.com saying you must only have a single page in your site."

The thing is that I've arranged it in such a way that the whole page acts like a template, and since weebly does not permit the use of diferent templates for different pages on the same website, having multiple copies of the same page isn't really helpful.

Anyhow, I think I found a way to fix my problem, I was informed of something called jquery scrollto that does pretty much what I was asking for, and I may very well use this to fix my problem.

However, now that I think of it, what I should have asked was if someone knew how to insert a template on weebly while maintaining the website's building tool so that it doesn't cover up most of the page. (I'm gonna post this on weebly's forum right away)

Anyway, thanks for the help. smile.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 13 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #5

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

What kind of template are you talking about?
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:29 AM