Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CSS and E-mail question (newbie)
kdubbie
post Sep 12 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,655

Hello everyone,

In about a month, for my job, I need to start creating HTML e-mails, using CSS.

My question is simply, what program is best for this? It's only going to be a single page HTML file, where I will copy and paste the code into our mass mail system.

The challenge is to take a couple of ads and brochures that I created and turn them into HTML files, so that our e-mails may look just like our print materials.

I have good understanding of HTML as that's how I create our HTML emails now(only it's very very basic HTML that I write from scratch in Notepad) but no experience using CSS.

I work a lot in Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign, as I work mainly with print materials, but I have never utilized either of these programs for the purpose of Internet, HTML, XML etc.

I own Dreamweaver, would this be the ideal program to create a single page HTML file with CSS? or Can I utitlize Illustrator/photoshop slices (so I've heard)?

Any help on which program to use would VERY much appreciated.

Thank you all very much in advance.

Kevin
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Frederiek
post Sep 12 2008, 02:30 PM
Post #2

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 9

HTML emails need to be in very basic HTML.

See:
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/principle...iful-html-email
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/code-html...l-newsletters/2
http://www.anandgraves.com/html-email-guide
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 12 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #3

Don't like donuts. Don't do MySpace.

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

The challenge is to take a couple of ads and brochures that I created and turn them into HTML files, so that our e-mails may look just like our print materials.

Email them a screen cap. Frankly, that is your best shot.
User is offlinePM
kdubbie
post Sep 12 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,655

Thank you so much for your replies.

And Frederick, I totally agree with the very Basic of HTML for direct email. That's what I have always done, that's what our IT expert says, that's what all the articles say...In our E-Mail Service Provider's webinar, we went through an almost identical artical to the one you posted.....etc...I have been writing the very basic of HTML e-mails since I started, literally just in Notepad and they have looked great.

But believe it or not someone in my company is using very complex CSS and getting MUCH better Open and click-through rates and has never been flagged from our service provider about excessive spams coming from their IP address....I couldn't believe it......

So I was told that I might have to start making emails like that.

But I also just remember when someone tried using an HTML created by illustrator slices ( I think ) and that DID get flagged big time.

Anyways, I would still like to be prepared incase I am told I should create one. (btw my boss doesn't know anything about code or technical issues, she's just the marketing director, so she very well might say "Screw good practice, I want to see a very complex and pretty Email)

And also, I want to learn CSS for my sake too, I would LOVE to add that on to my resume. So any recommendation about programs to use, for creating CSS based HTMLS would be GREATLY appreciated....

Thank you so much again

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 12 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #5

Don't like donuts. Don't do MySpace.

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

You can write as advanced or simple HTML in Notepad as in any other editor.

I think you miss the point. The "simple HTML" bit isn't about avoiding being blacklisted. It's about if the HTML email can be read at all. Email clients aren't web browsers. People disable HTML. People us webmail, which may or may not render HTML properly. The more "advanced" you get, the bigger chance the person in the other end gets a big mess in their inbox.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Sep 12 2008, 06:35 PM
Post #6

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Another issue is having your HTML email look like spam to the recipient. They may decide to report your email as spam. If enough of them report your email as spam to the same ISP or email provider, then you end up blacklisted even if none of the spam filters flagged your email.
User is offlinePM
Website Design Perth
post Sep 16 2008, 04:56 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,367

Important point to remember is that all styles must be inline since most email/webmail clients ignore css in the <head> of an html email.

We always also ensure a plaintext version is sent alongside the html email - for the 20% or so (in my estimation) who prefer just text or can't handle html.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2019 - 04:18 PM