Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help - Frames
everlongdrummer
post Feb 13 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,894

Hey guys,

I'm about to start a website for a client who works in sub-distributing products, and one of the features he would like is that whenever a user clicks a link out of his website, he would like to keep a header frame so that the user can go back to his website at any time and order a product.

This feature is seen in Google Images, where you click an image to see and the Google header remains up the top to go back to google whenever you want.

If anyone can provide any help or links to tutorials or whatever, that would appreciated, it's a hard topic to search for!

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
blade301
post Feb 13 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 441

I am not 100% sure but I think you would use iframes. Found this page http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/externalhtml.shtml Hope that helps
User is offlinePM
Effovex
post Feb 13 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #3

Serious Coder

Member No.: 1,477

That is generally done using frames, and frankly I would advise against it. I know personally I find that practice very annoying, and if I'm on a site where I want to stay, I'll just open a new tab, or bookmark the page and come back to it later, or press back a couple of times once I'm done. I know I'm not the only one who finds this practice annoying, because I wrote a user script to remove that behaviour from another message board I frequent just today, at the behest of another user.

Anyway. The way this would generally be done is by having a leaving page that creates a frame with the page you want to link to. When you link to an external page, you link to the leaving page giving it the UUEncoded destination URL as an argument (in the query string). Then the leaving page creates a top frame with a link back to your client's site (with a target of _TOP), and a bottom frame containing the site linked to.

Implementation details can vary a lot depending on how much functionality you want to provide.

See the FAQ entries and the HTML reference guide.
User is offlinePM
everlongdrummer
post Feb 14 2007, 01:31 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,894

Thanks for the help guys.

I also hate frames and never used them during my career but unfortunately it's a feature that the client is pretty glued on. The idea is that the target user's on his site are people who will follow links to his product's brands and browse around the other sites for information - and my client is worried that the user may become lost and not find their way back - we have to assume and it is quite probable due to the service, that the user is not the most computer literate person in the world.

Thanks again anyway I will keep you posted.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:33 AM