Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does anyone still use 800px monitors?
chris_p
post Aug 9 2007, 06:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,744

I'm redesigning a web site of mine - and the easiest option is going to be to use a banner across the top. I don't want to make it small enough to fit on an 800 px wide monitor. 1000 is as low as I want to go. Does anyone use 800 px monitors anymore? If it's only a very small fraction of viewers they can scroll. Does anyone think this is bad design?
Cheers

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Brian Chandler
post Aug 9 2007, 06:35 AM
Post #2

Jocular coder

Group: Members
Member No.: 43

Very few people use <800 px width monitors, but many people use a browsing window a lot narrower than the page.

I'm never sure exactly what constitutes a "banner", but if it's a centred heading, make the text/info part not too wide, and let it fade into some sort of background, so even viewing only the centre 600 px or so is still enough to read it. Make the background (image or colour) extend indefinitely, so people at the other extreme (1600+ px?) don't see ugly gaps around it.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Aug 9 2007, 09:48 AM
Post #3

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

FWIW, I haven't used an 800px-wide monitor in years, but my default browser windows on this system (including this window) are less than 800px wide.

And I know people who use huge monitors set to 800x600. It's a lot less hassle for them than using screen-magnifying software.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:17 PM