Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tips for newbies, Where to get started with web design
jokerrules
post Aug 30 2017, 04:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,486

Hi guys,

Appreciate any tips you could offer me. I am about to get started on a new venture and looking to create my own website... but I have no idea where to start and I have pretty much no start up funds. Does anyone know of a good place to teach one's self the basics? (Sorry if I am like the fifty millionth person to ask this question!) blush.gif

*runs away in fear*

Gerry
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jokerrules
post Oct 4 2017, 04:12 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,486

Good morning, all...

Since I'm avoiding WYSIWYG editors (as advised!) happy.gif is there a good way to preview what I'm working on? A friend of mine tipped me off to this try-it site... is this a good one? Which one do you normally use?
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 4 2017, 05:15 AM
Post #3

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

Good morning!

QUOTE(jokerrules @ Oct 4 2017, 11:12 AM) *

is there a good way to preview what I'm working on?

Real browsers is the only thing that makes sense, IMO. Many people make sites using only a single browser, but then you often need to add lots of complicated fixes afterwards when testing the site in the other browsers. I think it's better to test in as many browsers as possible during the whole design process, then you'll notice poorly supported code features early on, and might be able to choose some other solution. You don't have to test with every single browser that exists though, it's usually enough with the most common version of today's browsers: Chrome, Safari, Firefox and MSIE (MS Edge still seems very unused, but you might include that one too). If you don't have access to some browser (especially smartphone versions) maybe you could use online emulators, but I don't know how reliable they are.

A friend of mine tipped me off to this try-it site... is this a good one?

That one uses your own browser for previewing. This may work fine as long your own browser supports the feature you're testing, but if it doesn't you'll become greatly confused. Reminds me of when I first tried learning CSS with MSIE4, and almost nothing worked. wacko.gif

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 4 2017, 05:04 PM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

I'm with Christian. Text editors geared towards HTML may let you configure shortcuts to open the current page in different browsers, but it really isn't too much trouble doing it manually either.

About you not having a talent for HTML, learning something totally new to you is always slow at first. Seemed like greek or worse to me. You'll get out of that phase. Adding to knowledge you already have will be much easier.
User is offlinePM

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:03 AM