Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,244

Hi,
Hope I'm posting in the right place.
I'm a senior amateur newbie putting up a site for my surf board club at :

http://dysf.info

and a few linked test pages from there

I had no software so downloaded NVU to do the site and it seemed to work a treat with a bit of patience.
I've been using large background pics and sometimes running type around elements to position themselves for effect - breaking over pics etc. Works great in Firefox and I thought it was pretty simple as I don't have the time to start learning about css and stuff . Just play with layout and copy to keep things interesting is what I thought.

But in Explorer I have discovered things are not as they should be.
Headlines are radically reduced, text and pictures are repositioned and it really does spoil things both in the way things look and flow - IN Firefox it's kinda cute and has potential for a nice site, in Explorer it looks crappy.

I'd appreciate a bit of advice ( especially advice that assumes I know nothing about what I'm doing here !) smile.gif I figure I can't be the only one with this problem but have been searching for almost a week for a solution, hounded daily by a surf club membership full of loud cursing technological troglodytes using explorer and not firefox. ... well they are australian!

I have validated the code , changed the preference to strict code and it seems o.k. and am stuck.
I really don't know much, the last page I designed was in 1995 ....sorry.
Hope someone can help me .
Thanks for getting this far

dypete
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
dypete
post Aug 21 2007, 04:33 AM
Post #2

Well thanks all - over a month and no replies.
The answer seems to be that IE simply doesn't do a lot of things precisely the way firefox does - Type sizes change indiscriminately so design your site as tightly and simply as possible and be aware it just won't look the way you want it as things like Headings just don't seemt o work the same.
You gotta start doing everything again, making sure to pre-plan every insertion in order - quite a chore but ther you go check the site out it works....acceptably in IE but NVU seems to have its limitations too,
One of them is there ios not much detailed help and this forum gets you nowhere.
see ya and thanks for nothing
peter p
ps> I'm over fifty and have built a site with a 30 day trial version of paintshop pro 4.14 (1997) and NVU with a dial -up connection-
stuff you geeks - you aint that clever or that interesting and you certainly have been no help whatsoever - things used to be much nicer on the net.
peter p
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Aug 21 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #3

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I may have missed this one when you first posted. I don't remember seeing your site. Anyway...

It sounds like you need to learn that the web is not WYSIWYG. Web pages are supposed to look (or sound, or feel) different in different browsing environments. See also Web pages aren't printed on paper.

Regarding your site, the fixed-width layout forces horizontal scrolling in my default browser windows. Even when I maximize my browser window, I get horizontal scrolling.

I recommend that you use real text rather than images of text. But if you're going to use images of text, then you should include the text itself in the image's ALT attribute.

The only link on the welcome page is pretty well hidden. I had to use my browser's ability to find the links (especially since it was off the right side of the window unless I scrolled).

I recommend that you get rid of the entry page and put the little bit of content there at the top of your real main page.

The writing on the buttons on your real main page is kinda fuzzy and hard to read.

When you use a background image, you should also specify a background color that provides similar contrast with the text/link colors. And animated backgrounds are really annoying. And the "HOME >> >> >> >>" text looks like it should be a link, but it isn't.

Anyway, I didn't see anything particularly different in the various browsers I used to view your site. Is there a particular page where different browsers render things very differently?
User is offlinePM
dypete
post Aug 21 2007, 09:26 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Aug 21 2007, 11:46 AM) *

I may have missed this one when you first posted. I don't remember seeing your site. Anyway...

I was forced to throw the site away and rebuild the entire thing over a month ago - this may be why you are somewhat puzzled that the site is NOW looking similar on firefox and IE- I got no help at all from this forum and needed to make the site acceptable in IE as well as Firefox - apparently many of our club members use IE and when I checked it was an unbelievable difference and totally unacceptable. I've seen quite a few people bringing up exactly the same problem in the past on this forum but none ( and that means not one) of the answers they have been given have been at all helpful; So I worked out some solutions myself..and I am no web expert.

The copy on the welcome page is short and to the point and says "CLICK ON OUR LOGO" don't see how that's hard to work unless you don't know what a logo is. And just for fun there is an EXTRA hidden link on the page which doesn't work with IE but neither do a lot of things when using NVU apparently.
I had to put some text on images because of the compatibility problem with IE - it's one way around it - a cheat that doesn't work perfectly due to images not staying where they are commanded to by NVU but I needed the site to be acceptable in a variety of browsers.

I've got no idea what forcing scrolling - horizontally or otherwise - means - NVU simply wouldn't glue images to the edge etc etc despite the programme claims so I had to specify some things- I last put a site together in 1995 with Hotdog and frankly my recollection is that it was more accurate and easier to use for an amateur and much more versatile for the advanced user - so much for progress.
Otherwise as far as I know, with the exception of a couple of pic's I was forced to use as headlines due to browser incompatibility, I used only real text.
Thanks anyway
peter p
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Aug 21 2007, 09:56 PM
Post #5

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE(dypete @ Aug 21 2007, 07:26 PM) *
I've got no idea what forcing scrolling - horizontally or otherwise - means
Try reducing the width of your browser windows. If they're maximized (to take the full screen), then unmaximize them.

If the available display area is less than 1000 pixels or so, then the page won't fit and a horizontal scrollbar appears.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 22 2007, 02:23 AM
Post #6

Don't like donuts. Don't do MySpace.

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

The cause of your original problem probably was this.
and sometimes running type around elements to position themselves for effect

Never ever do that. It will only look as you want under exactly the same circumstances as you created it. A small difference in font size is most often enough to throw it off, not to speak of window size and resolution.
User is offlinePM
Peter Evans
post Aug 22 2007, 04:30 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13

The copy on the welcome page is short and to the point and says "CLICK ON OUR LOGO" don't see how that's hard to work unless you don't know what a logo is.

There's such a dazzling collection of visual gewgaws on this page that the logo isn't immediately obvious among them. (And the bird looks less marine than riverine.) Why not redesign the page a bit so that you could instead say "click on the surfer's bum"? That would perk up your visitors!

Anyway, we click on the dark bird and reach another page, which consists of links that are curiously large (but not tremendously readable). They could all be simplified and stuck on the opening page -- unless, of course, you're after a "killer website".

The pages at the end of this trail are certainly odd; with stuff like

<div style="margin-left: 240px; text-align: left;"><div style="margin-left: 40px;"><big style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(204, 255, 255);"><big><span style="font-family: Tempus Sans ITC;"><big><span style="text-decoration: underline;">Everyone Else $40 per
year</span>.</big></span></big></big><br><br><big style="font-weight: bold;"><big><span style="font-family: Tempus Sans ITC;"></span></big></big></div><big style="font-weight: bold;"><big><span style="font-family: Tempus Sans ITC;"></span></big></big><big style="font-weight: bold;"><big><span style="font-family: Tempus Sans ITC;"></span></big></big><big style="font-weight: bold;"><big><span style="font-family: Tempus Sans ITC;"></span></big></big>
</div><div style="text-align: left;"></div>

(randomly chosen sample from within http://dysf.info/membership.html ). I fear they'll be a nightmare to revise.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th March 2019 - 11:41 AM