The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fine in ie7 & ff3 but page looks a mess in ie6, New to debugging where do I begin ?
kam2701
post Jun 20 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,911

This is my first css / html design and its been quite a struggle.

I've been reading about bugs and hacks for ie 6 but recognising them and implementing the changes I'm stumbling over.

The pages that look the worst is www.efficient-heat.net/form and www.efficient-heat.net/services. They've been decimated by ie 6.
I've taken out the javascript navigation for validation reasons.

I know about conditional comments so if I can I would like to make adjustments to the code rather than finding hacks.

What's going on with these pages. Can you give me some suggestions of what I need to do.

I appreciate any help, Thanks.

This post has been edited by kam2701: Jun 20 2008, 09:32 AM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 3)
Darin McGrew
post Jun 20 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I recommend that you start by fixing the markup errors and CSS errors reported by the online tools. For one thing, don't mix XHTML syntax into an HTML document.

And don't use px for font sizes. Use 100% for body text, use larger percentages for headings and the like, and use (slightly) smaller percentages for legalese and other fine print.
User is offlinePM
kam2701
post Jun 20 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,911

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Jun 20 2008, 12:07 PM) *

I recommend that you start by fixing the markup errors and CSS errors reported by the online tools. For one thing, don't mix XHTML syntax into an HTML document.

And don't use px for font sizes. Use 100% for body text, use larger percentages for headings and the like, and use (slightly) smaller percentages for legalese and other fine print.

It looks like I have plenty of html errors but when I used the html validator extension for FF it gives me two warnings and one error.
The reason why I used the validator extension is that I couldn't understand the error reports from the W3C validator. If I have difficulties this time ill have to ask in the forums here.

Ill be making the changes you recommend as a start in debugging for IE6

Thanks for your help.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jun 20 2008, 09:24 PM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Good luck and just ask away about the errors you don't understand. I take it you used the HTML Tidy option with the FF extension? I think you'll find you learn more using a validator once you get over the hump. smile.gif
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:35 AM