The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MySQL Server is Down?, Digicart Error, SQL Server down?
NicGFX
post Jan 3 2011, 05:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,514

This seemed to have happened over night. One night the website was fully functioning, and the next the cart is no longer working. We're using Digicart, and i don't have much documentation to read up on to help me understand the build, I assume, since that's what the error message tells us. We click our product link; which should take us to our list of products, instead it redirects us to a error message;

http://www.tradewindsgarden.com/store/cart.php
"SHOPPING CART ERROR
Unable to connect to SQL server.
Powered by: digiSHOP 3.8.2"

It is a very old version of digishop and we have lots of products entered in this cart so upgrading, or restarting is a definite no. Does anyone have any idea how to get this back up and running?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Jan 3 2011, 06:02 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Did this happen without you touching anything? In that case I would contact the host. Maybe there is a SQL problem.
User is offlinePM
NicGFX
post Jan 3 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(pandy @ Jan 3 2011, 06:02 PM) *

Did this happen without you touching anything? In that case I would contact the host. Maybe there is a SQL problem.

On Friday, everything was working fine. I even checked the website out from home for a little bit. We found out this was happening today, I'll give my host a call right now but often times they're not very helpful. I'll update you guys once the calls over.

User is offlinePM
NicGFX
post Jan 3 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(pandy @ Jan 3 2011, 06:02 PM) *

On Friday, everything was working fine. I even checked the website out from home for a little bit. We found out this was happening today, I'll give my host a call right now but often times they're not very helpful. I'll update you guys once the calls over.

//

The man I spoke with told me he was able to connect to the database, but the database is empty.

How could the database just, vanish overnight?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jan 3 2011, 06:33 PM
Post #5

🌟Computer says no🌟

Well, I'm no expert on databases in general and I've never touched SQL, but from my limited MySQL experience I would expect a message like this if the SQL server was down or if the script didn't use the right login details. And if you haven't fiddled with the cart scripts...

Don't they have a support forum or maybe a page where they post news about the server status?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jan 3 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(NicGFX @ Jan 4 2011, 12:30 AM) *

The man I spoke with told me he was able to connect to the database, but the database is empty.

Only way I know is if someone deletes it. What explanation did the host guy give?

Do you have a backup of it? Does your host?
User is offlinePM
NicGFX
post Jan 3 2011, 06:39 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(pandy @ Jan 3 2011, 06:33 PM) *

Well, I'm no expert on databases in general and I've never touched SQL, but I would expect a message like this if the SQL server were down or if the script didn't use the right login details. And if you haven't fiddled with the cart scripts...

Don't they have a support forum or maybe a page where they post news about the server status?

The guy who built the website, did it as a favor for the company, years ago. I'm no database expert either, I have very little experience with SQL, just my luck that this error would spring up over night. I haven't touched the cart scripts, I haven't re-written any script on the webpage and over wrote files yet, this is purely a random occurrence, and a very big one as it's costing the company money each minute this SQL server is down. Digicart does have a support team, however they're the kind of company that charges for customer support, bi monthly. This cart is pretty old aswell, but it's done the job and hasn't had this problem in years. All the tech said was, was that he could connect to the sql server and that the database was empty, I've never had to deal with this, so this is a new problem for me.
User is offlinePM
NicGFX
post Jan 3 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(pandy @ Jan 3 2011, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(NicGFX @ Jan 4 2011, 12:30 AM) *

Only way I know is if someone deletes it. What explanation did the host guy give?

Do you have a backup of it? Does your host?

For once I don't have a backup, and I'm not sure if they do either. I suppose I'll call them one more time and see if they are able to restore it. Do you know if we need the MySql Database in the hosting? Shows how much SQL I know.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jan 3 2011, 06:52 PM
Post #9

🌟Computer says no🌟

Well, if the database is empty your data is lost in case the host doesn't have backups. I assume you don't.

I don't see how this can be your fault. Something must have happened on the server. Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in, but that's my 2¢.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jan 3 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #10

🌟Computer says no🌟

I moved the thread to the Databases forum so it may catch the eye of someone who knows more about this than I do.
User is offlinePM
stjepan
post Jan 3 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #11

Serious Coder

Member No.: 445

Something like that happened to me when my hosting updated PHP and some other stuff. I called them and after not so polite conversation they solved it. So, get in touch with your host and keep fingers crossed that they have backup. (I lost 5 days of work "#"#*"#*!!!)
User is offlinePM
NicGFX
post Jan 3 2011, 07:13 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(stjepan @ Jan 3 2011, 07:04 PM) *

Something like that happened to me when my hosting updated PHP and some other stuff. I called them and after not so polite conversation they solved it. So, get in touch with your host and keep fingers crossed that they have backup. (I lost 5 days of work "#"#*"#*!!!)

I'm on the phone with them right now. I've been on hold for about 10 minutes now, they're looking around for a solution. If they can't solve it, i have no idea how too.
User is offlinePM
NicGFX
post Jan 3 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #13

Back up and running. smile.gif Thank you everyone.

They just said, "it's up and running. -end"
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jan 3 2011, 07:33 PM
Post #14

🌟Computer says no🌟

Not very informative, huh? I guess they don't want to fess up. blink.gif

If you've made any changes recently, check that everything is there. In case they restored the database from a backup.
User is offlinePM
Frederiek
post Jan 4 2011, 03:18 AM
Post #15

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 9

And instantly make a backup yourself, so you won't loose too much data if anything goes wrong afterwards.
User is offlinePM
NicGFX
post Jan 4 2011, 01:07 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(pandy @ Jan 3 2011, 07:33 PM) *

Not very informative, huh? I guess they don't want to fess up. blink.gif

If you've made any changes recently, check that everything is there. In case they restored the database from a backup.

Not sure what they did. They just said, hold on. I was on hold for about 15 minutes and they picked me back up and said it was working on their end, all the sudden. Problem solved nonetheless. And thanks Frederiek, I'm going to make an entire backup right now, which will take, FOREVER.
User is offlinePM
Ephraim F. Moya
post Jan 4 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,702

This is a common error with php-mysql.

Do a search for 'MySQL Server is Down'

IIRC it has to do with the php code for connect.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:58 AM