The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Website search bar, need help with making a custom search bar.
lukeowen
post Apr 10 2015, 11:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,476

So I am making a website which supports html, the site is based on movie and tv show reviews.

I basically want a search bar where someone can type in a specific tag "movie title" or "show title" when they click search it will take them to a specific link for that search tag.
can anyone help me with html I have coded a search bar that is clickable and that I can type in below. It would be good if there was a section where I can add new tags and the links where you will be redirected if you type in that specific tag.

My current html:

<html>
<body>
<div class+"search">
<form action="http://noobywalkthroughs.wix.com/tvlounge-1">
<input type="text" name="search" placeholder="Search a movie..."/>
<input type="submit" value="Search"/>
</form>
</div>
</body>
</html>
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
lukeowen
post Apr 10 2015, 11:55 AM
Post #2

HTML SEARCH BAR HELP!

Im making a site where a review the latest movies and tv shows. Because of the recent increase of webpage viewers im taking the site more serious, with this I have been improving the layout so that is looks more professional. Everything I have done is completely fine but I need help with the one issue of a search bar.

I want to add a search bar so that someone can search a specific movie or tv show title (the titles will be in a html data list "something like that") after they click the search button they will be redirected to a new page on my site (the page dedicated to the specific film or tv show they search for).
Im new to html but I have coded a basic search bar that is compatible and is exactly how I would like it to work.

Html search bar code:

<html>
<body>
<div class+"search">
<form action="http://noobywalkthroughs.wix.com/tvlounge-1">
<input type="text" name="search" placeholder="Search a movie..."/>
<input type="submit" value="Search"/>
</form>
</div>
</body>
</html>

(P.S if possible could someone code it so that there is a list of tags and redirection links so that when a new movie or show review comes out I can add them to the search tag and redirct list)

- thanks
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Apr 10 2015, 02:24 PM
Post #3

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

The form needs to be connected to a script on the server that does the actual search and you probably need a database. The URL to that script goes where you now have the URL to the page the form is in, as the value of the action attribute. Do you have such a script?
User is offlinePM
lukeowen
post Apr 10 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(pandy @ Apr 10 2015, 02:24 PM) *

The form need to be connected to a script on the server that does the actual search and you probably need a database. The URL to that script goes where you now have the URL to the page the form is in, as the value of the action attribute. Do you have such a script?

not sure, i'm new to html only started today, the way im making my site is on a website maker but im using there html5 feature where you type up your html then add it to the page so im not to sure.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Apr 10 2015, 02:59 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7

There are also third-party search utilities (such as Freefind) that you can embed on a web page.
User is offlinePM
lukeowen
post Apr 10 2015, 03:43 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Christian J @ Apr 10 2015, 02:59 PM) *

There are also third-party search utilities (such as Freefind) that you can embed on a web page.

I am able to get the html from there site to mine and change a few things like colour but i'm not sure what i'm doing to get it to search my site and to add specific tags to search.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Apr 10 2015, 05:12 PM
Post #7

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(lukeowen @ Apr 10 2015, 09:30 PM) *

not sure, i'm new to html only started today

Well, this isn't HTML. It's programming and could be done in any server side programming language.

If you can find a service that does the job for you, as Christian suggested, you are out of that jam. But you seem to have some requisites that makes it a little more than an ordinary site search.
User is offlinePM
lukeowen
post Apr 11 2015, 08:36 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(pandy @ Apr 10 2015, 05:12 PM) *

QUOTE(lukeowen @ Apr 10 2015, 09:30 PM) *

not sure, i'm new to html only started today

Well, this isn't HTML. It's programming and could be done in any server side programming language.

If you can find a service that does the job for you, as Christian suggested, you are out of that jam. But you seem to have some requisites that makes it a little more than an ordinary site search.

I have seen it on lots of other sites it basically you search a word if it is a vlid word in the system it takes you to a page if that page sosin't exist it can tage them to another page saying that that page dosn't exist
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Apr 11 2015, 08:58 AM
Post #9

🌟Computer says no🌟

Sure. But those sites don't do it with HTML either.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:29 PM