Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can I Use HTML/CSS To Do This?
icu222much
post Aug 21 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,512

I have a graphical website where the content will be displayed using Flash and will be placed on the center of the screen. On either side, I will have some trees and above I'll have some clouds floating from the right to the left. I am wondering if this can be done using HTML/CSS, or do I have to use a scripting language such as JavaScript?

If the user has their browser set 600X800, then they will just be able to see the Flash content and not the trees. However, if they widen their browser to lets say 800X800, then they will be able to see the trees. As they further widen their browser, the website will automatically slide the trees across the page so that the trees do not stack up on top of each other, stack on top of the content, and are not clipped off on the edges of the browser. In addition, I am wondering if for every 100 pixels or so if a tree can also be placed in as well?

I am also wondering how I would get the clouds to float from right to left. I remember there was a HTML tag <marquee>. Would this be the best option for me, or is there an alternative?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Aug 21 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

If I understand your description right, the trees could be a background picture. Don't understand the sliding bit. As the window gets larger, more trees will be visible, no?

The sailing clouds need something else. Since the main content is already in flash, maybe you could use that for the clouds too?
User is offlinePM
icu222much
post Aug 21 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #3

I initially thought I could put the trees as part of the background but then I realized I may have some problems. The content will be placed in a container in the middle of the screen which is on top of the background. As the user continues to expand the width of the browser, the background would just continue to tile while the content container will remain in the middle of the page. At some point, the content container will end up on part of the trees thus showing half a tree. Is there a way to prevent this?

Originally, I was going to use Flash for my clouds, but one of the reasons why I am undertaking this project is to learn new skills. I am wondering if there is another technique I can use to make my clouds float around?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 21 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(icu222much @ Aug 22 2009, 03:09 AM) *

I initially thought I could put the trees as part of the background but then I realized I may have some problems. The content will be placed in a container in the middle of the screen which is on top of the background. As the user continues to expand the width of the browser, the background would just continue to tile while the content container will remain in the middle of the page. At some point, the content container will end up on part of the trees thus showing half a tree. Is there a way to prevent this?

OK, so you want the trees to appear a whole tree at the time... No, I can't think of a way to do this with HTML/CSS. The tiling is no problem though.
http://htmlhelp.com/reference/css/color-ba...und-repeat.html

CODE
Originally, I was going to use Flash for my clouds, but one of the reasons why I am undertaking this project is to learn new skills. I am wondering if there is another technique I can use to make my clouds float around?

JavaScript probably, but it's above me. But wouldn't it be better to avoid Flash for the content than for the clouds?
User is offlinePM
icu222much
post Aug 22 2009, 02:13 AM
Post #5

I originally was planning to use Flash to solve my cloud problem, but I want to experiment with another technique. So JavaScript is probably the easiest way?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 22 2009, 07:53 AM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

Sorry, don't know. If you know Flash, I'd expect Flash to be the easest way.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Aug 22 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #7

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

You could use a background image that tiles, and is positioned so that the edge of your Flash matches gaps between trees in the background image. Then you wouldn't have partial trees sticking out from behind the Flash. You'd still have partial trees at the edges though, unless the width of the browser display area was just right.
User is offlinePM
icu222much
post Aug 23 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #8

If the browser width was just right, wouldn't my Flash content still cover the trees regardless of how I tile the trees? I have attached a simple diagram to help illustrate my point. At the moment, I am not as concerned with a tree peeking out from the edges as the content hiding my tree.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 23 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #9

🌟Computer says no🌟

I for one got more confused. cool.gif
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Aug 23 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #10

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

You need to position the background image the same way as you position the flash content. If you center them both, then you'll get something like this:
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
icu222much
post Aug 26 2009, 01:16 AM
Post #11

Sounds good. Thank you.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 26 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #12

🌟Computer says no🌟

Now I also get it. biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:02 AM