Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I need an HTML code...
sevenstars
post Oct 4 2014, 07:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,625

Hello!! I'm still getting used to HTML laugh.gif I know but I need a favor. I'm needing a code that saves the text I put in a text box...
CODE
<textarea name="myTextBox" cols="50" rows="30"></textarea>
Please tell me.. I own a website, it is an emulation of a PC... I made a Microsoft word emulation. How do I save it?? huh.gif

This post has been edited by sevenstars: Oct 4 2014, 07:58 PM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Oct 4 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

You need a script on the server that handles the form and does something with the data. It could for example put it in a database, save it in a text file or email it to you. Or update the page with the entered text.
You can't do things like this with HTML alone. It takes a programming language and it must run on the server. JavaScript is also out.

See http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/forms.html#form-howto .
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 5 2014, 05:13 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 5 2014, 03:28 AM) *

You can't do things like this with HTML alone. It takes a programming language and it must run on the server. JavaScript is also out.

Depends on who is saving, and for whom. Maybe javascript local storage could be used to save a user's edits on his own computer, but then it can't be seen by others.

OTOH, if you're using a server side script to save edits on the server, you'll need a way prevent unauthorized access (e.g. a password login), and if anyone is allowed to edit then you need some way to separate different people's changes (unless you allow them to overwrite each other).

QUOTE(sevenstars @ Oct 5 2014, 02:56 AM) *

I made a Microsoft word emulation.

What does that mean? MS Word lets your format text, something which isn't possible in a TEXTAREA.

User is offlinePM
sevenstars
post Oct 8 2014, 03:41 PM
Post #4

Its just my version. I know I can't. I'm using wapka, but how do I created to my users to where they can view it?? dry.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 8 2014, 04:40 PM
Post #5

You mean you want to edit your own site from an HTML form? Then you need a server side script (e.g. PHP).

The simplest approach is save your edited form data to a text file on the server. When other people view your site, the server side script embeds the content of the text file in the web page.
User is offlinePM
sevenstars
post Oct 13 2014, 05:31 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Christian J @ Oct 8 2014, 04:40 PM) *

You mean you want to edit your own site from an HTML form? Then you need a server side script (e.g. PHP).

The simplest approach is save your edited form data to a text file on the server. When other people view your site, the server side script embeds the content of the text file in the web page.

I don't understand.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 13 2014, 07:42 PM
Post #7

🌟Computer says no🌟

As I said, this isn't HTML. The HTML form itself doesn't do anything at all. It just provides the box to type in. For anything to happen the form data must be sent to a script (a program) on the server. That is done by adding the URL to the script as the value of the action attribute in the FORM tag. As for the script itself, if you can't write it yourself you may find one you can use by searching the common script repositories like for instance http://hotscripts.com .

If you want to do what Christian suggests you need to find a scipt that writes the data to a text file. You can then use SSI or PHP includes to include that text in your page.
http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/design.html#include-file
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 14 2014, 08:22 AM
Post #8

Unless you can find something readymade, I also suggest you start studying a server side scripting language, for example PHP: http://php.net/manual/en/getting-started.php
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 14 2014, 08:35 AM
Post #9

🌟Computer says no🌟

I think you should learn HTML first.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:32 AM