Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My editor
pandy
post Oct 2 2016, 10:36 AM
Post #1

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Answering Christians question here: http://forums.htmlhelp.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=132829 .

The editor is still Notetab. The first program I bought and I've used it every day since. It's very capable, but a little outdated in some respects. It has only basic syntax highlighting and only for HTML. It lacks unicode support and alas they've chosen to fake it instead of letting it be.

The scripting language may be a little quaint, but you can do almost anything you want with it. Good text editing capabilities and you can work with files too. For example I have a script that can look for certain files and let me choose if I want to copy or move them to another directory or rename them with a pre- or suffix (good for cleaning up). One that looks for specified image types within folder with or without subfolders and creates a simple webpage with changeable background with all the images. Good if you want to, say, pick out icons from a collection and see how they look against different backgrounds. I have one that opens all files that meet your criteria in a folder and remembers them even if you rearrange their tabs so it can close them all again with one click and leave other open documents along.

All things aren't slow. Just doing step by step editing on humongous documents. biggrin.gif

Its search is very good (can use regex). Best is the disk search. I.e. you can do find & replace on not open files. I once used it to change some paths in an archived forum, thousands of HTML files. Just as easy as doing it in one open document.

It can also interact with other programs. You can run other scripts from it and receive their output. Same with a DOS prompt. Even GUI programs if they accept command line. If not you can at least send keystrokes to them. It's possible to say highlight a chunk of text in an email program, evoke a script in Notetab that copies the highlighted text, reformats it or something and pasts it back into the email.

I once needed to fetch a text file from a server once a day. I wrote a scipt that evoked ftp.exe (a hidden away command line program on Windows) and passed the needed arguments to it. One click and the file was open in Notetab and I could do what I needed. It wouldn't have taken long to download and open the file the normal way either, but this was quicker.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Oct 2 2016, 12:48 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 2 2016, 05:36 PM) *

Answering Christians question here: http://forums.htmlhelp.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=132829 .

Thanks for the detailed review!

It has only basic syntax highlighting and only for HTML. It lacks unicode support and alas they've chosen to fake it instead of letting it be.

Same with TextPad. I'm using an older version, so this may or may not be relevant.

you can work with files too.

TP lets you Find in Files, but I think you need to open them in order to Replace anything in them.

Best is the disk search. I.e. you can do find & replace on not open files. I once used it to change some paths in an archived forum, thousands of HTML files. Just as easy as doing it in one open document.

That's a great feature that alas seems to be missing in TP.

It can also interact with other programs.

TP too, I think, but I haven't tried.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:26 PM