The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Website not working, linked correctly ?
Focus1
post Jul 15 2012, 01:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,776

Hi guys just looking to be pointed in the right direction here if possible please smile.gif

Basically I've just completed my first website that is could be fit for the web and I've purchased my 1 year subscription from ovh.fr and as per guide on their site I uploaded all my files to the 'www' folder.

After this nothing happened so from some googling I figured I have to rename my home page to index.html.
I did this and my home page now appears live on the web but when I click a link on my page it just says, 'page not found, link broken'.

This is the way I have my pages linked on my hard drive
CODE
<ul>
        <li><a href="Home.html">Home</a></li>  
        <li><a href="Howitworks.html">How It Works</a></li>
        <li><a href="Contactus.html">Contact Us</a></li>
        <li><a href="Faq.html">F.A.Q</a></li>
    </ul>

Should I rename the home page to index.html here, and is that all I have to do, or as the site is now running live will I have to put 'www.' in the links address ?

I'm a bit confused here to say the least so any help much appreciated smile.gif

I did only purchase the hosting today, and it says it could take from 24/48 hours for the dns to be sorted, so that could possibly be the issue too ?

cheers guys smile.gif

Focus
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Jul 15 2012, 03:33 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

If you have renamed Home.html to index.html, you must change all links to it accordingly. What about the other links? I got the impression they didn't work either, but maybe I misunderstood. If they don't work, are the files named in mixed case as you have written in the links? Most servers don't run on Windows and Windows is just about the only OS that isn't case sensitive.

You don't need to use www. Relative URLs work on- and offline as long as the file can be found where you say it is. You don't need to use www in full URLs either unless the server is seriously backwards. www is just a convention from days passed. http:// is what's important in a full URL. But, you use relative URLs, so none of that.
User is offlinePM
Focus1
post Jul 16 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,776

QUOTE(pandy @ Jul 15 2012, 09:33 PM) *

If you have renamed Home.html to index.html, you must change all links to it accordingly. What about the other links? I got the impression they didn't work either, but maybe I misunderstood. If they don't work, are the files named in mixed case as you have written in the links? Most servers don't run on Windows and Windows is just about the only OS that isn't case sensitive.

You don't need to use www. Relative URLs work on- and offline as long as the file can be found where you say it is. You don't need to use www in full URLs either unless the server is seriously backwards. www is just a convention from days passed. http:// is what's important in a full URL. But, you use relative URLs, so none of that.

Hi Pandy hope you're well, and thanks for the help as usual smile.gif

Seems to have been the dns as it has started working fully just there awhile ago.

At least I will know for the future as this was my first time sending a site live, it had me a little confused and my reference book that we were advised to purchase for learning HTML didn't help too much as it was advising using http in the address etc.. when all I really had to do was rename the home page to index.html.

Anyway I'm sorted now so now onto new ventures, I'll start a new thread for that as it has nothing to do with this topic.

Many thanks smile.gif

Focus

This post has been edited by Focus1: Jul 16 2012, 06:42 PM
User is offlinePM
rdavis42@ymail.com
post Jul 25 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,416

I have same problem and now I fix it because of your help here guys!thanks!

This post has been edited by rdavis42@ymail.com: Jul 25 2012, 08:40 PM
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:56 PM