The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Salvage unsupported emojis, (really silly question)
Christian J
post Oct 28 2018, 05:43 PM
Post #1

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

Sometimes I get SMS containing emojis, that my old phone doesn't support, instead the message may just display blank space. Is it possible to salvage such emojis somehow? I've tried copying the blank SMS message and pasting it into an HTML form in my smartphone browser, which in turn sends the garbled data to my desktop computer's email client, but once there I don't know how to change the garbled data back into an emoji again. unsure.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Oct 29 2018, 01:31 AM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

I don't think there is a way. If your phone doesn't support the subset of Unicode the specific smilie is in, it will show it garbled. I don't know how you would be able to get the codepoint that represents that specific emoji.

Anyway, the emojies look different on different platforms, so you never see the exact image the sender meant to use, unless you have the same brand of phones from the same era. Which I think it annoying. One may use an emoji because it looks funny/cute/whatever, not specifically because of what it really means. On the receiver's platform it may look very different. Even if an angry smilie always is an angry smilie, exactly how it looks affects how and when one uses it.

Emojipedia shows the differences on some platforms, for example https://emojipedia.org/grinning-face/ .

My phone shows it similiar to Microsoft's in that list. To me a grinning smilie showing teeth like that is very different from one that looks more like the Apple version. The teeth add a little "evil" into the mix. That's how I've always used forum smiles.

He -> biggrin.gif is just happy or shows I think something is really funny.
And -> IPB Image is more suitable for gloating.
They are not the same.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 29 2018, 01:45 AM
Post #3

🌟Computer says no🌟

I would prefer if real smilies could be used. Well, they can but the message will be sent as MMS. And at least my phone resizes the image so it becomes huge and shows the same way a photo does. It looks as it should in the preview though, even if it isn't inline but on it's own.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 29 2018, 03:54 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 29 2018, 07:31 AM) *

I don't think there is a way. If your phone doesn't support the subset of Unicode the specific smilie is in, it will show it garbled.

Actually the SMS appears to show just blank spaces, ditto if I paste it into a form field with the phone's browser. But when I submit the form I do get garbled data in the email, so there is some kind of information, not just say squares or question marks.

Anyway, the emojies look different on different platforms, so you never see the exact image the sender meant to use, unless you have the same brand of phones from the same era.

True but there's at least a basic similarity between them. Getting a completely blank SMS can really cause misunderstandings. wacko.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 29 2018, 03:57 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 29 2018, 07:45 AM) *

I would prefer if real smilies could be used. Well, they can but the message will be sent as MMS.

I hate that (on forums too, including this one). All text should be kept unchanged, if the writer wants to use a icon special code should be generated for that.

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 29 2018, 04:14 PM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

I don't understand what you mean. How do the smilies change? Or do you mean when the forum is updated and a new smilie set is used? Yeah, that's really annoying. I remember I used the classic version of tongue.gif a lot at a forum. Then came a new smilie set and it was replaced with a nasty looking ugly one with an evil tongue. Changed the meaning of a whole lot of my old posts.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 29 2018, 04:14 PM
Post #7

🌟Computer says no🌟

Anyway, I don't think we need to be afraid something like that will happen here. biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 30 2018, 03:11 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 29 2018, 10:14 PM) *

I don't understand what you mean. How do the smilies change?

Like if you type

CODE
:)

in plain text and the software changes it to an icon like smile.gif

A related abomination is when you don't even intend to create a smilie. Maybe you just want to write something like

CODE
"onion: potatoe"

and then some forum software (not this one) changes it to "onion tongue.gif otatoe".

Or do you mean when the forum is updated and a new smilie set is used? Yeah, that's really annoying.

Nah, I avoid looking back on my old post. The embarrassment is too big as it is. blush.gif

I remember I used the classic version of tongue.gif a lot at a forum. Then came a new smilie set and it was replaced with a nasty looking ugly one with an evil tongue. Changed the meaning of a whole lot of my old posts.

That's almost like misrepresentation, or libel. happy.gif

User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th March 2024 - 11:42 PM