The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Text Positioning on a Background Image, Wondering how to Position Text on a Webpage w/o Use of Table
Shadekur
post Mar 2 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,097

Hello,

This is my first post on the WDG forums, so I beg your patience.

Thanks to the very nice FAQ, I learned how to incorporate an image as a background for my webpage.

Now, my next question is: Is there an HTML way to position a single line of text (in this instance "Click Here to enter our Website") in another part of the page (for example, the bottom) without using a table? If I were to just use a Paragraph tag, by default the text would display at the top of the page.

Normally this would be OK, but IMHO the presence of a line of text at the top of the picture I am using would detract from the image aesthetic.

Appreciate your time.

- Shadekur

This post has been edited by Shadekur: Mar 2 2008, 08:19 PM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post Mar 2 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I recommend against using content-free entry pages. I also recommend against using "click here" (or worse, just "here") as link text.

It sounds like the image is the content, and you want the link displayed below it. If so, then the image should be a regular inline image, not a background image.

Another possibility is that you're tying to position the link over a particular location of the background image. Positioning content over specific areas of a background image is a particularly fragile way to design web pages, and I recommend against it.
User is offlinePM
Shadekur
post Mar 2 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,097

Thanks for replying, Darin. I should have been more clear.

The second of the above possiblities is correct; I want to use the image as background, with trying to position text over it.

Here is the website I am trying to incorporate the image into:

http://www.sashellclub.org/

And here is the image I want to use as background:

http://www.sashellclub.org/index_3.htm

Since you recommend against either possibility, might I ask your advice as to how best to proceed? My goals are twofold:

1. Use the image as a background image for our website.
2. Keep from detracting from the image with a lot of cluttered text.

I have seen many websites use appealing images successfully as their main page with successful use of incorporated text. What I am unsure of is how to best go about it.

- Shadekur
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 2 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

You can do that with CSS positioning. I agree with Darin though. It sounds like the image is the content (on this page) and then it should be an inline images. You can still do it with CSS positioning.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Mar 3 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #5

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

One possibility would be to position the image at the bottom of the page, tiling horizontally but not vertically. Then use a background color that blends with the blue sky at the top of the image. The content can be displayed on the blue area, with a bottom margin that leaves room for the beach.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:45 PM