Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CSS "tags", very basic question
UptonGirl
post Jun 3 2009, 07:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,577

I know what a css class is and what a css id is - but sometimes when i reading instructions it seems as if the "tag" refers to a third thing - and other times it seems like the term "tag" is inclusive - (IOW IDs and CLASSes are both types of tags)

So, is a css tag something other than a category term for IDs, CLASSes, STYLEs etc . . ?

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post Jun 3 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I'm not sure what a "tag" would be, when discussing CSS.

In (X)HTML, a tag marks the beginning or end of an element, and attributes (like id or class) are specified in the begin tag for an element. In HTML (but not in XHTML), some tags are optional. Technically, omitting the optional tags does not change the document structure. (However, in my experience, MSIE 6 handles CSS better if you include the optional tags.)

In CSS, selectors are based on elements, ids, classes, pseudo-classes (like :link or :visited), attributes, and various relationships between elements. The selectors are used to specify various properties for the selected elements. But "tags" don't really mean anything in CSS.
User is offlinePM
UptonGirl
post Jun 4 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,577

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Jun 3 2009, 09:46 PM) *

I'm not sure what a "tag" would be, when discussing CSS.

In (X)HTML, a tag marks the beginning or end of an element, and attributes (like id or class) are specified in the begin tag for an element. In HTML (but not in XHTML), some tags are optional. Technically, omitting the optional tags does not change the document structure. (However, in my experience, MSIE 6 handles CSS better if you include the optional tags.)

In CSS, selectors are based on elements, ids, classes, pseudo-classes (like :link or :visited), attributes, and various relationships between elements. The selectors are used to specify various properties for the selected elements. But "tags" don't really mean anything in CSS.

Thank you. That does help.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:05 PM