Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Improving Search Engines ranking
Effovex
post Apr 5 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Serious Coder

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,477

It had been so long since the last time the Feature Article changed it took me almost two months to notice there was a new one ninja.gif

May I recommend adding a big flashing "NEW" sign next to it? And maybe removing the one next to the forums, considering they aren't so new anymore.

The Googleating article was deleted from Wikipedia.

I think frames should appear in the "pitfalls" section in addition to the design checklist (even though only Google mentions frames directly, while Yahoo mentions the impossibly vague "use good web design").

Overall is article is quite good and is a much more useful introduction than Search Engine Watch's (although SEW has better in-depth content, to which you might want to link in some places to give weight to your points)
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
John Pozadzides
post Apr 17 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #2

WDG Founder

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Effovex @ Apr 5 2007, 02:58 PM) *

May I recommend adding a big flashing "NEW" sign next to it? And maybe removing the one next to the forums, considering they aren't so new anymore.

The Googleating article was deleted from Wikipedia.

I think frames should appear in the "pitfalls" section in addition to the design checklist (even though only Google mentions frames directly, while Yahoo mentions the impossibly vague "use good web design").

Overall is article is quite good and is a much more useful introduction than Search Engine Watch's (although SEW has better in-depth content, to which you might want to link in some places to give weight to your points)

Sorry, I had missed this post previously.
  • I just made the suggested changes to the home page, and updated the Googleating link.
  • I'm not quite sure what to recommend with regards to Frames. If you have a suggestion I'm all ears.
  • I'll have to take a look later to see if additional links to SEW or any other resources might improve the comprehension or readability of the article.

Thanks for the feedback!

John
User is offlinePM
Effovex
post Apr 17 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #3

Serious Coder

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,477

Rereading the article, I realize the "avoid pitfalls" section is mostly about things that have a direct negative impact on the ranking, rather than design decisions that work poorly with search engines, like frames. Avoiding frames is already in the design checklist, which is where it belongs.

I also had noticed a couple of specific SEW entries that would link well into the article, but since then I forgot what they were. I should have written them in the original post. I'm a fan of punctuating arguments with links - I think links often make a more effective type of <strong> <em>phasis and a good distribution of links make a text easier to read by breaking the monotony along with added functionality.

This post has been edited by Effovex: Apr 17 2007, 03:24 PM
User is offlinePM
John Pozadzides
post Apr 17 2007, 03:27 PM
Post #4

WDG Founder

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

I completely agree. smile.gif
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:36 AM