Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Pro image editor for free
pandy
post Oct 8 2017, 07:47 PM
Post #1

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Picture Window Pro is a photo editor and a very capable one at that. It's not a program that also handles drawing like for instance PSP. It performs 48 bit processing and can save 48 bit image files, something that is desirable if you work with RAW and actually hard to find. It surprises me that the different camera vendors' own image editors seldom (never?) are 48 bit. What's the point of the huge RAW files if the major part of the image data is discarded as soon as you start to work with them?

The program is outdated according to the author, not that I notice that. So he is working on a total rewrite. Meanwhile the last version can be downloaded for free. The price used to be about $90, I think.

Picture Window is different. It's not a Photoshop like program. There are no layers and ready-made actions or what they are called. You need to do the steps yourself (but they can be saved as workflows if you like). In a way it is to Photoshop what a text editor is to Dreamweaver (winking at Christian here wink.gif), something I appreciate. I'm not very experienced with photo processing, but I like that I'm at least given a chance to understand what I'm doing and not just learn what buttons to click.

As I hinted, I'm no wiz at Picture Window and only use a fraction of the things it's capable of, so don't expect me to teach you the tricks. But I like it very much and have used it for around 15 years for the little photo editing I have done. Now I at long last have bought a "real" digital camera and I'll try to learn more. That's how I discoved it's given away for free. I wanted to see if there was a newer version I should upgrade too. There was, only it turned out to be much cheaper than I expected. smile.gif

Download it. If you find it too complicated at first, save it for later. I think it's the only image editor of its kind and it won't be a free download for ever. Also grab the manuals and tutoriols while they are available.

An interesting fact for older folks around here may be that the author is Jonathan Sachs, the creator of Lotus 1-2-3.

http://www.dl-c.com/
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Posts in this topic
pandy   Pro image editor for free   Oct 8 2017, 07:47 PM
Christian J   Thanks, will check it out. Which camera did you ge...   Oct 9 2017, 06:09 AM
pandy   Yeah, do that. It's a small download compared ...   Oct 9 2017, 05:16 PM
Christian J   I got an Olympus E-M1. It was actually almost two...   Oct 10 2017, 02:03 PM
pandy   Typical. :wacko: I got a bit tired of taking pic...   Oct 11 2017, 12:31 PM
Christian J   I got engaged in kind of a project where the obje...   Oct 11 2017, 05:54 PM
pandy   I suppose your composition skills improve as well...   Oct 11 2017, 10:15 PM
Christian J   Really? But maybe ISO is the answer for mobile pi...   Oct 12 2017, 05:41 AM
pandy   I misread, I thought it only had a large LCD scre...   Oct 12 2017, 06:23 AM
Christian J   And here I've written a novel about the advan...   Oct 12 2017, 10:45 AM
pandy   The Minolta I had 35 years ago could indicate whe...   Oct 12 2017, 12:29 PM
Christian J   Didn't you know I own tinypic.com? :shades: ...   Oct 12 2017, 01:11 PM
pandy   I can't wait! :D I cared when geocities ...   Oct 12 2017, 01:22 PM
pandy   Manual focus is also good. There's a feature...   Oct 12 2017, 12:38 PM
Christian J   My camera shows an icon in the bottom left corner ...   Oct 12 2017, 01:02 PM
Christian J   I can only see grain in the last two pictures (des...   Feb 20 2018, 08:44 AM
pandy   The grain in the one with the lamp is acceptable I...   Feb 20 2018, 10:29 AM
pandy   BTW this screen thing is annoying. The images are ...   Feb 20 2018, 10:39 AM
Christian J   I'm beginning to understand why people who wo...   Feb 20 2018, 12:54 PM
pandy   Yes, but it would help to know that what you yours...   Feb 20 2018, 06:42 PM
Christian J   At least assuming that your reference screen's...   Feb 21 2018, 11:28 AM
pandy   Some things probably tilt in the same direction fo...   Feb 21 2018, 03:31 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:56 AM