Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What is an algorithm?
pandy
post Jul 22 2018, 02:07 AM
Post #1

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Well, I know what it is, sort of. But I've never understood the difference between a (computer) algorithm and a short procedural program or script. Thought it's about time I find out. cool.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Christian J
post Jul 23 2018, 03:16 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(pandy @ Jul 22 2018, 09:07 AM) *

I've never understood the difference between a (computer) algorithm and a short procedural program or script.

But is there a distinct difference, maybe the terms belong to different categories, or overlap?

According to Wikipedia:
The term "scripting language" is also used loosely to refer to dynamic high-level general-purpose languages [...] with the term "script" often used for small programs (up to a few thousand lines of code) in such languages

--so a script is a small program in a high-level general-purpose language.

look at the example they give. That's a program/script to me. wacko.gif

Seems an algo can be written as a program/script (but also in English prose, like in the example), and a program can be a script? In other words, an algo can be a script? unsure.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jul 23 2018, 03:49 PM
Post #3

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jul 23 2018, 10:16 PM) *

But is there a distinct difference, maybe the terms belong to different categories, or overlap?

If not, why don't we ever hear someone talk about Google's scripts?

According to Wikipedia:
The term "scripting language" is also used loosely to refer to dynamic high-level general-purpose languages [...] with the term "script" often used for small programs (up to a few thousand lines of code) in such languages

--so a script is a small program in a high-level general-purpose language.

But what is an algorithm? tongue.gif

look at the example they give. That's a program/script to me. wacko.gif

Seems an algo can be written as a program/script (but also in English prose, like in the example), and a program can be a script? In other words, an algo can be a script? unsure.gif

Nah, the prose is pseudo code, or a verbal description of the intention and procedure of the script/algorithm.

About programs vs. scripts. I tend to generally call them scripts if they aren't compiled. And if they are stand alone and not huge. Like this forum I would call a program rather than a script. Or I guess it could be called a system of scripts or something like that, but not "a script". "What forum script do you prefer?" - sounds batty. Compiled stuff I always call programs, no matter how small they are. But that's me - I have no idea if I use the terms in a totally kosher way.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jul 23 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(pandy @ Jul 23 2018, 10:49 PM) *

If not, why don't we ever hear someone talk about Google's scripts?

I'd say Google's original algorithm is their link popularity idea (probably patched as a house of cards by now), not the exact program code that's used for calculating it.

BTW Googlebot is probably a compiled program, not a script. tongue.gif

Nah, the prose is pseudo code, or a verbal description of the intention and procedure of the script/algorithm.

Isn't the latter the definition of an algorithm? Wikipedia: "An unambiguous specification of how to solve a class of problems". Imagine you tried to give instructions to Alexa/Siri/Cortana, wouldn't such instructions qualify as an algorithm? cool.gif

About programs vs. scripts. I tend to generally call them scripts if they aren't compiled. And if they are stand alone and not huge.

#metoo

Like this forum I would call a program rather than a script. Or I guess it could be called a system of scripts or something like that

I wouldn't call it neither "a program" nor "a script". A system of scripts sounds reasonable, or just "forum software".

Compiled stuff I always call programs, no matter how small they are.

Same here.
User is offlinePM

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:47 AM