The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Refresh (F5) problem in IE8 and IE10, Firefox refreshs correctly all the time but not IE
CharlesEF
post Apr 28 2013, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,088

Hi All,

I came across this sample code on the web. I fixed all the errors and each page passes W3.org validation. When loaded into Firefox v20 I can refresh (F5) all day with no problems. If I load the page into IE8 or IE10 and hit the refresh icon then the menu frame data loads into the content frame area. If I hit refresh again then the menu frame data will load into the footer frame area. So, after 2 refreshes I have the menu frame data showing in 3 frames. The top frame does not seem to be affected. Maybe the order is menu frame to content frame to footer frame? Either way I still see the menu data in 3 frames.

To see this in action please visit www.cef-inc.com/example/ - menu Example 5 is the original code I fixed and posted.

Here is the code for the framesets.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
<title>Frameset Example Title (Replace this section with your own title)</title>
</head>
<!--
================================================================================
======================
This template is available for free download from the Quackit website.

If you have found it to be useful, please consider linking from your website to http://www.quackit.com

Thanks!
================================================================================
======================

Note the following:
1. Each frame has it's own 'frame' tag.
2. Each frame has a name (eg, name="menu"). This is used for when you need to load one frame from another. For example, your left frame might have links that, when clicked on, loads a new page in the right frame. This is acheived by using 'target="content"' within your links/anchor tags.
3. Each 'frame' tag has a 'src' attribute. This is where you specify the name of the file to be loaded into that frame when the page first loads.
4. You can change the size of the frames by changing the value of the 'cols' and/or 'rows' attribute. A value of "200" sets the frame at 200 pixels. An asterisk (*) specifies that the frame should use up whatever space is left over from the other frames. You can also use percentage values if desired (i.e. 20%,80%)
5. To specify a border, set 'frameborder' and 'border' to "1". I included both attributes for maximum browser compatibility.
6. The 'framespacing' attribute doesn't work in all browsers, but you can set any numeric value you like here.
7. To learn more about HTML frames, check out: http://www.quackit.com/html/tutorial/html_frames.cfm
-->

<frameset rows="100,*,80">
<frame name="topNav" src="top_nav.html" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">
<frameset cols="200,*">
<frame name="menu" src="menu_1.html" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="auto" noresize="noresize">
<frame name="content" src="content.html" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="auto" noresize="noresize">
</frameset>
<frame name="footer" src="footer.html" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">
<noframes>
<p>This section (everything between the 'noframes' tags) will only be displayed if the users' browser doesn't support frames. You can provide a link to a non-frames version of the website here. Feel free to use HTML tags within this section.</p>
</noframes>
</frameset>
</html>

I'm trying to understand this code better and I thought I did but the refresh problem has me stumped.

Thanks for any help,

Charles
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
CharlesEF
post Apr 29 2013, 04:17 AM
Post #2

Programming Fanatic

Hi All,

If this is not an HTML markup problem, then please point me to the right forum.

Thanks for any help,

Charles
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Apr 29 2013, 06:15 AM
Post #3

Don't like donuts. Don't do MySpace.

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

I don't have access to any of the IE versions you mention, but the problem is there in IE7 too. I see no problem with the markup. This has been up before and if you google you can find questions similar to yours and they never get a usable answer. I've tried a lot of things during the years, renaming frames and so on, but I've never found what causes it. It doesn't need to be nested frames either as in your case. The few times I've played with frames myself it has never happened. So there must be something that triggers it, but what?

Here's one of the others and as you can see there is no solution offered.
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en...5-23e6e3fc9990/
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Apr 29 2013, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Programming Fanatic

Hi,

Yes, I have used google before and I also posted the question in the web development section of MSDN. Still no answer.

I had the problem with a 3 frame page but it turned out that I had problems with my HTML markup. Once I fixed and validated the pages the problem went away.

Now the problem is back using a 4 frame page. I have posted in MS again and I will see what they say.

Thanks for the input,

Charles
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Apr 30 2013, 05:19 PM
Post #5

Programming Fanatic

Hi All,

Seems I need the help of other people using IE to test this refresh error. The MS forum replies I got are stating that there is no refresh problem.

Please visit http://www.cef-inc.com/example/ using IE and hit the refresh icon.

After the 1st refresh I see the content data move to the footer frame and the menu data move to the content frame. So, the menu data is showing in both the menu and content frame and I see the content data in the footer frame. After the 2nd refresh I see the menu data in the menu, content and footer frames. At this point I can hit refresh all day long and I still see the menu data in all 3 frames. If I turn compatibility view on or off the 4 frames will load correctly, until I hit refresh again. At any time I can click in the address bar and press enter and the 4 frames load correctly again.

Please post your results here and I will post a link to this thread in the MS forum.

Please remember to use IE only for this test.

Thanks for any help with this,

Charles
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Apr 30 2013, 06:59 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(CharlesEF @ May 1 2013, 12:19 AM) *

Please visit http://www.cef-inc.com/example/ using IE and hit the refresh icon.

I see nothing strange in IE9 (or IE7/8 in the IETester emulator).

If I turn compatibility view on or off

FWIW, do you use the default settings in Developer Tools? Any toolbars or extensions?
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Apr 30 2013, 07:26 PM
Post #7

Programming Fanatic

Hi,

Well, this is strange. I see a refresh problem in IE but not Firefox.

Everything in IE is default, I do not even use google toolbar, nothing, just the defaults. While in developer mode I have tried IE7, IE8 and IE8 with compatibility mode and I still see the menu data creep over into the content frame and then the footer frame. At this point I see the menu data in 3 frames. This is on my WinXP Pro computer.

I will test again on my Win 7 computer and post back.

Wait, while in developer mode I looked at the cache (from menu) setting. I checked the 'Always refresh from server' and now IE 8 will refresh correctly. Why would the cache setting be turned off?

Thanks for looking,

Charles
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Apr 30 2013, 07:54 PM
Post #8

Programming Fanatic

Hi,

I just tested my Win 7 box and found the same cache setting problem. Once I checked 'Always refresh from server' the page will refresh correctly.

Once I exit IE and reopen it I have to change this cache setting again. Looks like I have to do a little research.

Thanks for the help,

Charles
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Apr 30 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #9

Programming Fanatic

Hi,

I posted some jpg's of what I see, in case anyone wants to look and to prove I'm not crazy.

What I see when page is first loaded: http://www.cef-inc.com/public/ie/1st_load.jpg
What I see after 1st refresh: http://www.cef-inc.com/public/ie/after_1st_refresh.jpg
What I see after 2nd refresh: http://www.cef-inc.com/public/ie/after_2nd_refresh.jpg

Thanks for the help,

Charles
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 1 2013, 02:14 AM
Post #10

Don't like donuts. Don't do MySpace.

Member No.: 6

No problem in IE7 on XP.
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post May 1 2013, 02:58 AM
Post #11

Programming Fanatic

Hi All,

I want to report that my refresh problem has been tracked down, with the help of IECUSTOMIZER (Rob) in the MS web development forum.

To be honest, Christian J was on the right track but my brain completely overlooked it. It was the fault of an avast! extension, WebRep. The extension is now disabled in IE and the refresh problem is gone.

Thank you to all who helped me with this,

Charles
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post May 1 2013, 06:12 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 7

Interesting... At least in the Opera browser extensions use javascript and seem to be able to affect the DOM tree, actually I'm surprised I haven't seen any Opera bugs related to that yet.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th February 2019 - 12:39 PM