post Sep 28 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #41

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(Christian J @ Sep 28 2017, 11:58 PM) *

Where did you find it?

You know I possess seriously leet skillz. cool.gif

No, it was the big update. Actually, I thought I would pull down all updates, but the notification came before I had time to do it and since they said it would take time I scheduled it for later.

You can't choose updates, but maybe uninstall them individually afterwards.

So if there is one I want I'll get all the ones I've held back uptil then? Lovely. IPB Image

Talking about uninstalling, if I get rid of the silly apps and programs I don't want, they will just push them on me again, right?

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Sep 28 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #42

🌟Computer says no🌟

Better! biggrin.gif

Attached Image

Can you explain to me how I can have two desktop.ini side by side though? unsure.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Sep 28 2017, 05:27 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(pandy @ Sep 29 2017, 12:06 AM) *

Talking about uninstalling, if I get rid of the silly apps and programs I don't want, they will just push them on me again, right?

Haven't checked actually. At least they stay away from the Start menu.

It's perhaps a good idea to check settings after major updates, some say they can get reset.

Can you explain to me how I can have two desktop.ini side by side though?

I don't even get one ini, despite showing hidden files (I recall Vista displayed them, though). Is it something that the Classic Start menu added? unsure.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 28 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #44

🌟Computer says no🌟

Dunno. I found and installed that one right off. Have you tried it? I like it. If you Shift-click you get the normal windows 10 menu, both worlds.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 28 2017, 05:39 PM
Post #45

🌟Computer says no🌟

At least one of them is probably from the menu. But how can two identically named files exist in the same folder? Somthing must make each one unique but it isn't visible to us. blink.gif

CODE

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769

CODE

IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183
[LocalizedFileNames]
Internet Explorer.lnk=@%windir%\System32\ie4uinit.exe,-731

Well, thank you for your help. Tomorrow I'll get my old drives in and start sorting and installing. I decided not to rush this time.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Sep 29 2017, 06:49 AM
Post #46

I almost never use the Start menu myself, so it's just a minor issue to me.

QUOTE(pandy @ Sep 29 2017, 12:39 AM) *

But how can two identically named files exist in the same folder? Somthing must make each one unique but it isn't visible to us. blink.gif

No idea. Do they persist after rebooting? If not it might be a UI bug. Didn't understand the code you posted, where did you find it? unsure.gif

Tomorrow I'll get my old drives in and start sorting and installing. I decided not to rush this time.

I'd use a HDD for music and videos, it's fast enough for them. Save the SSD space for the OS and programs.

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 30 2017, 06:04 AM
Post #47

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Sep 29 2017, 01:49 PM) *

Didn't understand the code you posted, where did you find it? unsure.gif

Just the content of the ini files.

I'd use a HDD for music and videos, it's fast enough for them. Save the SSD space for the OS and programs.

That's what I'm planning. Sadly I don't think the SSD is big enough for all programs.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Sep 30 2017, 09:43 AM
Post #48

QUOTE(pandy @ Sep 30 2017, 01:04 PM) *

Just the content of the ini files.

I got curious, and found this: https://superuser.com/questions/463946/why-...ry-in-windows-7

Sadly I don't think the SSD is big enough for all programs.

I put most of my large programs (games) on the HDD too, only a few favorites go on the SSD.

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 1 2017, 08:19 AM
Post #49

🌟Computer says no🌟

I don't fully understand what solved that guys problem, but it seems it was related to not showing known extensions and/or system files. I of course turned all that on first thing. cool.gif

Yeah. I don't play games. Well, solitaire... blush.gif But maybe primarily put often used programs on the SSD and big, heavy programs. Must google how much free space Win10 needs. It and the crap that comes with takes up a lot of space to begin with. I've only installed K-Mel and FF and I've uninstalled some stuff too, and the disk is already 1/5 full, 42 GB used.

Sometimes I miss Win95 and the 1 GB HD I had back then. wub.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 1 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #50

🌟Computer says no🌟

This is what I mean when I say everything is white. K-mel at least has nice, classic icons, but its toolbar is white in Win10. For me it's a strain on the eyes. It's not clear what is the page/work area and what is the toolbar.

Attached Image

In k-mel's case I could fix it by replacing the optional (patterned) background image with a solid gray one. See? Much nicer. wub.gif
Alas that can't be done with most programs.

Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 1 2017, 10:07 AM
Post #51

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 1 2017, 03:19 PM) *

Must google how much free space Win10 needs. It and the crap that comes with takes up a lot of space to begin with. I've only installed K-Mel and FF and I've uninstalled some stuff too, and the disk is already 1/5 full, 42 GB used.

I use about 150GB 90GB, but that's including a couple of games too. Don't know much about non-game programs that use a lot of space, maybe audio/video/3D editors, CAD and compilers (if you store the project files on the SSD).

Then maybe Windows will grab more and more for its System Restore feature. In Vista I had to delete old restore points now and then, not sure if that's changed in 10.

Sometimes I miss Win95 and the 1 GB HD I had back then

Must have cost a fortune to fill up with a metered dial-up connection. Of course one could also install programs from CDs that came with computer magazines. cool.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 1 2017, 10:09 AM
Post #52

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 1 2017, 04:27 PM) *

This is what I mean when I say everything is white.

My browsers have blue (my chosen system color) or gray toolbars (some turn white when not in focus though). Maybe it's a K-Mel bug.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 1 2017, 07:53 PM
Post #53

🌟Computer says no🌟

No, all programs are like that. I don't see where I can change the color of the toolbar? The color I choose (the darker gray) only affects the title bar.

Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 2 2017, 05:19 AM
Post #54

Seems you're right about Notepad's menu bar, but most of my other ones are light gray or blue even there (the ones that still let you view the menu bar, God bless their hearts). Maybe it's a system default that can be changed with another .ini?
User is offlinePM
jokerrules
post Oct 4 2017, 03:49 AM
Post #55

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,486

Sometimes I miss Win95 and the 1 GB HD I had back then. wub.gif

I hear you, man. I feel like every version of Windows has been worse than the one before. I finally broke down and got an iMac. happy.gif
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Oct 4 2017, 01:56 PM
Post #56

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,088

I came across this https://www.tenforums.com/customization/435...ist-header.html. Seems you can define a new theme (instead of messing with the original). Hope this might help.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 4 2017, 04:54 PM
Post #57

🌟Computer says no🌟

Ah! Wonderful! I'm prepared to do some work once I've got things running. BTW, I had my finger on the ban button before I saw you were the poster. My eyes is always drawn to any link first. I misread and thought it said "teenforums". biggrin.gif

I'll continue to pick your brains, if I may.

I've already found that the Program Files (x86) folder isn't an entirely bad idea. I have, of course, installed programs in a folder named - taa-taa! - Programs as I've done since many years. And I've also heard that's a good idea to get around some annoyances with newer versions of Windows. I have this really old menu program called AppBar. I've dragged it from computer to computer and everything has worked straight off - until now. It's tiny bar with text based menus. I have everything I use often on it. Programs, folders, documents. I use to have it at the bottom. It autohides behind the taskbar. That didn't work. So I put it at the top of the screen instead. Everything worked, or so I thought. The paths that happened to be the same worked fine, but it turned out I couldn't edit the entries or add new one, got strange error messages. When I moved it to the x86 folder everything worked, even having it coexist with the taskbar. I'm so happy! wub.gif It's rather cool actually. I think that little program is from before Win 95 even.

To the point. I'm trying to get rid of the annoying prompts. I realize not allowing any program to run as administrator is actually a good idea. But how do I set the programs I trust to do it? Some have it in there own Options, but that doesn't seem to take. I find this little tutorial duplicated all over the web.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/always-run-a-pr...-in-windows-10/

Problem is I don't get a Shortcut tab when I rightclick an exe. I only have the ones in the screen cap and none of them have the setting I'm looking for. So is there another way to do this?

Attached Image
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 4 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #58

🌟Computer says no🌟

Oh, I think they are talking about rightclicking a shortcut, not an exe... And I found this. The setting is also on the compatibility tab (when rightclicking an exe). Doesn't seem to work though, but maybe a reboot is needed.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3436-ru...a.html#option10

I also have problems with file associations not sticking. That seems to be common. The advice is to use Settings... Default Apps and to use the Set defaults by apps option. Problem with that, apart from sounding tedious, is that hardly any of the programs I've installed so far shows up there. Basically only FF and Adobe's programs do. wacko.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 4 2017, 05:27 PM
Post #59

🌟Computer says no🌟

OK, I've set the options both on the shortcut properties and on the exe properties. It doesn't work. Neither does rightclicking a shortcut and choosing Run as Aministrator. I have rebooted.

The stupid OS also made one of the two extra hard drives I put in Read Only. Why one and not the other? It has also made som files I moved from those HDs to C protected somehow, don't remember what it was called. The latter was easy to get rid of, but I hope I don't have to do that every time I move a file.

So far my experirience isn't great. ninja.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 4 2017, 06:08 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 4 2017, 11:54 PM) *

I've already found that the Program Files (x86) folder isn't an entirely bad idea. I have, of course, installed programs in a folder named - taa-taa! - Programs as I've done since many years. And I've also heard that's a good idea to get around some annoyances with newer versions of Windows.

Probably you already know this, but I think the Programs folder is for 64 bit programs and the x86 one is for 32 bit.

You can also right-click shortcuts for older programs and make them run in compatibility mode.

I also have problems with file associations not sticking. That seems to be common. The advice is to use Settings... Default Apps and to use the Set defaults by apps option. Problem with that, apart from sounding tedious, is that hardly any of the programs I've installed so far shows up there. Basically only FF and Adobe's programs do

Below the list there should be settings based on file type, protocol and app (how I hate that word, "app" dry.gif ).
User is offlinePM

22 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 01:33 AM