Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Display problem
pandy
post Dec 27 2016, 05:27 PM
Post #21

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Yes, I also started calculating PPI and wasn't sure I got it right, so that page was good.

I'm sort of thinking now that getting two screens would be the best option. One the size I have now or a little less and one smaller. Smaller are hard to find now, especially if you don't want a wide screen. I'm thinking a screen with the old proportions would be nice for the smaller one.

I spoke with a neighbor and asked if they could lend me a screen for testing. They only had their laptops. They are moving to a smaller place and had just thrown a perfectly fine really large screen away. They were going to ask me if I wanted it but decided I probably had good stuff already. Yeah. Right. My typical luck! sad.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Dec 27 2016, 05:47 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 27 2016, 11:27 PM) *

I'm sort of thinking now that getting two screens would be the best option. One the size I have now or a little less and one smaller. Smaller are hard to find now, especially if you don't want a wide screen. I'm thinking a screen with the old proportions would be nice for the smaller one.

You might rotate a wide screen into portrait mode. It also seems possible to split the video card output on two screens side by side (but of course you'll get a seam in the middle).

I spoke with a neighbor and asked if they could lend me a screen for testing. They only had their laptops. They are moving to a smaller place and had just thrown a perfectly fine really large screen away. They were going to ask me if I wanted it but decided I probably had good stuff already. Yeah. Right. My typical luck! sad.gif

You can also connect a newer TV screen...
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 27 2016, 07:06 PM
Post #23

🌟Computer says no🌟

You might rotate a wide screen into portrait mode.

Yeah, but that would be odd.

It also seems possible to split the video card output on two screens side by side (but of course you'll get a seam in the middle).

Yes, that's what I meant. But maybe that's odd with different resolutions. I may try that whatever way I go now. I'm thinking the smaller screen for editor, email and that kind of things. A fairly simple screen would probably suffice.

You can also connect a newer TV screen...

Never! I've thrown my TV out and I don't plan to start paying the license again.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 28 2016, 07:40 AM
Post #24

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 28 2016, 01:06 AM) *

But maybe that's odd with different resolutions.

Yes you should probably use two identical models for that.

I'm thinking the smaller screen for editor, email and that kind of things.

Might work, but if the editor screen is located on the side maybe your neck will start to hurt after a while. unsure.gif

BTW, wouldn't it be possible to connect your neighbour's laptop to your monitor for testing?

User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 28 2016, 09:15 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 28 2016, 01:06 AM) *

Never! I've thrown my TV out and I don't plan to start paying the license again.

A friend uses his TV as a computer monitor, this seems to work fine with Windows10.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 28 2016, 11:35 AM
Post #26

🌟Computer says no🌟

Sure. But if you buy a new TV set they report you to Radiotjänst. dry.gif
And I doubt a TV is cheaper, so no reason to choose that.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 28 2016, 11:00 PM
Post #27

🌟Computer says no🌟

What you've said about ppi and scaling got me thinking. Maybe it's better to stick with what you know. I can't find any shop with those larger resolution screens in stock so I can't have a look at them easily.

What do you think of this one? It's huge, same resolution as yours and same PPI as my current. Should mean lots of space but same size of fonts and icons as I'm used to, PPI around 93. I do feel the screen is a little crowded now.
http://www.elgiganten.se/product/datorer-t...-31-5-led-skarm
Philips doesn't feel that hot, but I don't have budget for the really hot screens anyway so...

Turns out I can borrow a half decent screen a while if I want. I may go for that option to buy some time.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 29 2016, 08:31 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 29 2016, 05:00 AM) *

What you've said about ppi and scaling got me thinking. Maybe it's better to stick with what you know.

Yes, if you get higher PPI things will look smaller (unless you can scale them up), there's no way around that. At the same time, it's hard to tell in advance how small you can get used to. Squinting your eyes is not fun, OTOH you might squint either way: because of blurry low PPI or because of small icons when using high PPI. wacko.gif Perhaps you can lower the screen resolution if things become too small.

What do you think of this one?

No idea. From what I've read, IPS panels are the best all-round screens (at least in these price ranges): http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

It's huge, same resolution as yours and same PPI as my current.

...and since a larger screen is placed farther away, you can get away with lower PPI. There's no point in having a higher PPI than your eyes can notice from a given distance.

I do feel the screen is a little crowded now.

Horizontally or vertically? Some large screens may be large in the wrong places, so to speak, e.g. with more width but no height.

Turns out I can borrow a half decent screen a while if I want. I may go for that option to buy some time.

If it's better than your current one you'll get spoiled, then you'll need a new one that's at least as good or feel disappointed. tongue.gif

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 29 2016, 09:37 AM
Post #29

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Dec 29 2016, 02:31 PM) *

No idea. From what I've read, IPS panels are the best all-round screens (at least in these price ranges): http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

Thanks. Yet another thing to learn. Seems the Philips screen uses VA that according the page you linked to is something in-between IPS and TN. unsure.gif

It's huge, same resolution as yours and same PPI as my current.

...and since a larger screen is placed farther away, you can get away with lower PPI. There's no point in having a higher PPI than your eyes can notice from a given distance.

Yes, but there's an additional problem. I like sitting far from the screen and I have room for it. But the fact that I need glasses nowadays force me to sit at a distance at which the glasses give a sharp image... sad.gif

I do feel the screen is a little crowded now.

Horizontally or vertically? Some large screens may be large in the wrong places, so to speak, e.g. with more width but no height.

In all directions. My current screen is much larger and have much higher res. than my previous one, so I thought I would be able to have both two and three windows open side by side, but as you know it doesn't work that way. OK, I can have two windows, but then the program windows get crowded.

If it's better than your current one you'll get spoiled, then you'll need a new one that's at least as good or feel disappointed. tongue.gif

Not a chance. It's the same size with lower resolution. Probably a crap screen that was bundled with the computer.
https://www.amazon.com/HP-L2208w-22-inch-Wi...r/dp/B001622L12

I like the pivot options and other stand adjustments the Philips is capable of. I've missed that on every screen I've had. It also have some fancy feature that lets you connect several devices and display them side by side on the screen. Sound kind of cool to have your phone display up in a corner... tongue.gif
MultiView they call it.
http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/BDM3270QP2_00...-with-multiview
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 29 2016, 02:55 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 29 2016, 03:37 PM) *

Yes, but there's an additional problem. I like sitting far from the screen and I have room for it. But the fact that I need glasses nowadays force me to sit at a distance at which the glasses give a sharp image... sad.gif

You mean you must sit closer because of the glasses? unsure.gif

In all directions. My current screen is much larger and have much higher res. than my previous one, so I thought I would be able to have both two and three windows open side by side, but as you know it doesn't work that way. OK, I can have two windows, but then the program windows get crowded.

Sounds like a wide screen might work then, which is fortunate because that's the most common shape nowadays.

It also have some fancy feature that lets you connect several devices and display them side by side on the screen. Sound kind of cool to have your phone display up in a corner... tongue.gif

I just wish you could access your local PC server with the phone's browsers...
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 29 2016, 04:37 PM
Post #31

🌟Computer says no🌟

[quote name='Christian J' date='Dec 29 2016, 08:55 PM' post='133459']
You mean you must sit closer because of the glasses? unsure.gif
[/quote]
Yeah. You don't use glasses? Glasses for fairly close view is sharp only at a certain distance and they never get it right at to optician. Also as your sight deteriorates that distance changes. With the set I have now the reading glasses had too close optimal distance to start with so I had no put my nose in the book. Now I have to hold it away a bit. I don't use progressive glasses. Maybe those work better

[quote]Sounds like a wide screen might work then, which is fortunate because that's the most common shape nowadays.[/quote]

Have a wide screen already. And don't really like the format. Two more square screens would probably be best. But I'm going to Elgiganten to see what they have one of these days and ask about the Philips screen.

[quote]It also have some fancy feature that lets you connect several devices and display them side by side on the screen. Sound kind of cool to have your phone display up in a corner... tongue.gif[/quote]
I just wish you could access your local PC server with the phone's browsers...
[/quote]

Surely you an open the server up to the world a short while?

Well, off for a late walk in my new military fur cap from the 50's. That will keep the bad guys away! ninja.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 29 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 29 2016, 10:37 PM) *

I don't use progressive glasses. Maybe those work better

Maybe you should get the above sorted first. Otherwise your choice of monitor size might be based on distance requirements that will change over time anyway. unsure.gif

Wouldn't that be almost as much work as FTP-ing to the web server?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 29 2016, 10:35 PM
Post #33

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Dec 30 2016, 02:16 AM) *

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 29 2016, 10:37 PM) *

I don't use progressive glasses. Maybe those work better

Maybe you should get the above sorted first. Otherwise your choice of monitor size might be based on distance requirements that will change over time anyway. unsure.gif

Obviously you don't need glasses - yet. tongue.gif It's an ongoing process. Your sight continues to deteriorate little by little and to accommodate that you change the distance to the book or screen more or less without realizing you do until one day it dawns on you you need new glasses, you get them and then it starts all over again. Basically it sucks.

Wouldn't that be almost as much work as FTP-ing to the web server?

Sure. But I thought you wanted to test on your own server.

Anyway, I've told my friend I want to borrow the screen. I'll get it this weekend.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 23 2017, 01:09 PM
Post #34

🌟Computer says no🌟

FYI I just ordered the huge Philips screen which has about the same pixel density as my current one.

I went to the store to get some info and they recommended this screen over others so... But they didn't have it in stock, so I had to order online. I learned that while AMVA has a little more narrow acceptable viewing angle it has larger color depth than IPS and I thought that sounded good.

Thanks for your help, Christian. happy.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Mar 23 2017, 04:26 PM
Post #35

You're welcome! Have you kept using the broken screen for three months? blink.gif (Not that I'm any better, my distrust in Windows 10 keeps me from ordering the new computer I need. wacko.gif )

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 23 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #36

🌟Computer says no🌟

I have. cool.gif

It was kinda accidental. It took time to get the screen I should borrow delivered (they have a car, I don't). Then I thought the holidays are over soon, no idea to bother with a borrowed screen so I canceled the whole thing. By then the screen wasn't so bad anymore. It doesn't flicker. It's just that images are very, well, grainy and smudged. It seems primary colors are alright, others not. I can stand watching the news, but not a movie. So as it happened time passed... tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 29 2017, 07:29 PM
Post #37

🌟Computer says no🌟

It has arrived. I'll fetch it tomorrow.

QUOTE(Christian J @ Dec 27 2016, 02:34 AM) *

Of course, you realize that if I buy a new screen and the display still is garbled, it's all on your head, right? laugh.gif

Let's say I always give a full money-back guarantee on my consultations. cool.gif

I'll hold you to that if the screen wasn't the problem after all. ninja.gif tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 30 2017, 02:46 PM
Post #38

🌟Computer says no🌟

You're off the hook. It was the screen.

*beep* it's big! I'll get "nackspärr" (wryneck?). tongue.gif And bright. I jumped when I opened my text editor and the whole screen turned white. I guess it was time to send the old one to screen heaven.

Since the pixel dentity is about the same, this screen cap should show how much extra space there is. I made the browser window 1920 x 1080.

Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Mar 30 2017, 06:06 PM
Post #39

You could get a (almost) new GPU too, sometimes you get the investment back within a year or so from savings on the electricity bill (ditto for PSUs).

In hindsight I should have bought a 31" screen too, and placed it farther away on the desk (thus freeing up more desk space) but I was too stingy as usual. sad.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 30 2017, 07:04 PM
Post #40

🌟Computer says no🌟

Nuh, computer is only about 2 years old.

GPU? I'm not sure what GPU is. Wikipedia says it's not the same as graphics card and then they start listing what I've always thought were graphics cards, like Nvidia GeForce. Maybe GPU is called graphics card in everyday language?

I'm getting used to the big desktop, but there are issues, things I need to relearn. I seldom used maximized windows before, but now it's impossible. And I need to place the window a good bit down from the top of the screen because the screen is so high I probably really would get wry neck/nackspärr if reading at the top of the screen. Or I could get a dedicated LOW computer table... A taller person wouldn't have the same problem, of course. I'm not very tall and I like to sit on a fairly low chair so that's something I should have thought about.

There are some other large screens that have other proportions. They are very wide but not so high. I thought they looked horrible, but now I'm thinking that might be the best way to go, almost like having two normal screens side by side.
User is offlinePM

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:36 AM