Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Display problem
pandy
post Dec 25 2016, 10:05 AM
Post #1

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

My display is wonky and wonkier it gets for each day. Is there a way to find out if it's the screen or the video card that is BSODed? I haven't been able to borrow another screen, which would of course be the easiest way to find out.

It started with short, thin lines showing up in columns where there was a solid or close to solid color. Pure black, pure white and yellow weren't affected.

Now colors are garbled and solid color areas flicker (like the chrome of programs and windows, old Windows gray style).

How the problem manifests itself is affected by the display mode I choose on the screen. In Standard and sRGB mode light lines are rolling down the screen (much as it could look at a badly tuned old fat TV). If I choose Movie or Dynamics the rolling lines go away but colors look like they were designed by Disney.

The problem gets worse if I leave the computer idle. If I'm not working at it I leave a movie on so something happens on the screen.

I haven't made any changes lately, neither to the computer or its environment. Tried to turn speakers off and so on.

No biggie, I was contemplating getting a new screen anyway, so I'm thinking of getting that first, even if it's more expensive. But it's the worst time of the year, shops are jammed full with people, things get sold out and since I don't keep up with hardware it takes me some time to figure out what I want. sad.gif

WARNING: I really suck at hardware, so you need to talk to me like to a baby. cool.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Dec 25 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7

You could try switching OS if you have more than one, to rule out some OS/video driver issue. You could also try changing video card driver. If your motherboard has an integrated video card you might try disabling the external one.

Also check that the computer doesn't overheat after being on for a while. Maybe it's full of dust?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 26 2016, 01:08 PM
Post #3

🌟Computer says no🌟

Alas I have only one OS now and one card. I've updated the driver, there was a newer one. Didn't change a thing. It isn't heat related. If anything it gets better over time, as long as something is happening on the screen, may it be me typing and clicking or a movie playing.

CODE
Maybe it's full of dust?

Certainly not! Really! angry.gif tongue.gif

I think you can see the pattern och colors shifts I get on this mobile picture. I can see it when I look at it on my phone, even if smoothed out a bit. Obviously I don't know how it fares on a computer screen. Look at the browser chrome and the light-blue forum menus.

I couldn't upload it. Guess it's too large and I don't want to downsize it so here goes.
https://s24.postimg.org/v2eb2u11x/screen.jpg
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 26 2016, 01:11 PM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

And they downsized it even if I said they shouldn't. Oh well. tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 26 2016, 03:30 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 26 2016, 07:08 PM) *

I think you can see the pattern och colors shifts I get on this mobile picture. I can see it when I look at it on my phone, even if smoothed out a bit. Obviously I don't know how it fares an a computer screen. Look at the browser chrome and the light-blue forum menus.

Yes I can see greenish distortions on the Windows menus.

That looks like a photo of the monitor screen. Do the distortions show up on screen captures too? That should determine if they come from the PC/video card or from the monitor.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 26 2016, 03:57 PM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

You don't see that raster pattern?

No, screen caps don't show it. I thought it always was that way. So what does that tell us? That it is the screen?

That is I don't think it shows. Wait, I'll take a screen cap and you can tell me. I can't determine if what I see is in the picture or on my screen. I uploaded one to my phone and thought it looked normal, but that was a while ago when I only had the lines.

Attached Image
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 26 2016, 04:00 PM
Post #7

🌟Computer says no🌟

Here's one in Standard display mode. The other one was in Dynamic, so the colors should be more vivid than normal.

Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 26 2016, 04:36 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 26 2016, 09:57 PM) *

You don't see that raster pattern?

Yes I do, at least on the greenish parts.

No, screen caps don't show it. I thought it always was that way. So what does that tell us? That it is the screen?

Sounds like the screen to me (or the path to it). At least I don't think it's the video card or OS.

Wait, I'll take a screen cap and you can tell me.

That one looks normal...
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 26 2016, 05:10 PM
Post #9

🌟Computer says no🌟

You are so clever! biggrin.gif Hmm. That's another way of saying I'm dumb, isn't it? unsure.gif

That's for the best, even if it's the most expensive option. As said, I was thinking of a new screen anyway. This is more than 7 years, so I guess it's time. I'll regret later that I didn't catch the after christmas sale, but my nerves are too fragile for that. sleep.gif

Thanks!

Of course, you realize that if I buy a new screen and the display still is garbled, it's all on your head, right? laugh.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 26 2016, 05:15 PM
Post #10

🌟Computer says no🌟

Hm, what's the path to the screen? I didn't know there was such a thing. blush.gif

It's good black and white aren't affected at all. It's totally OK to write here, use my editor and so on as long as I don't let my eyes wander outside the editing area. When I go to bed and turn off the light I see this flickering pattern before my eyes before I fall asleep. Maybe I'll throw a fit or go mad or something. wacko.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 26 2016, 06:01 PM
Post #11

🌟Computer says no🌟

BTW, what do you think about that screens get larger and larger but most of them keep the same resolution, 1920 x 1080? What's the use of a larger screen if the pixels are "stretched out"?

There are very few screens with a higher resolution than the above that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but I've found a few, for instance this one. It's a little pricier than I was planning on paying.
http://www.elgiganten.se/product/datorer-t...k-uhd-led-skarm

My first screen ever was a tiny, used NEC that had a very high resolution for that time. I've never had a sharper screen. So maybe the way to go is to choose a smaller screen. Or maybe two of them. My card allow for two screens so...
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 26 2016, 07:34 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 26 2016, 11:10 PM) *

You are so clever! biggrin.gif Hmm. That's another way of saying I'm dumb, isn't it? unsure.gif

Not if I'm very clever. smile.gif

I'll regret later that I didn't catch the after christmas sale, but my nerves are too fragile for that. sleep.gif

Don't they just offload old junk anyway?

Of course, you realize that if I buy a new screen and the display still is garbled, it's all on your head, right? laugh.gif

Let's say I always give a full money-back guarantee on my consultations. cool.gif

User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 26 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 26 2016, 11:15 PM) *

Hm, what's the path to the screen? I didn't know there was such a thing. blush.gif

I was thinking of the monitor cable, parts of the motherboard, etc. Don't know anything about that myself.

User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 26 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 27 2016, 12:01 AM) *

BTW, what do you think about that screens get larger and larger but most of them keep the same resolution, 1920 x 1080? What's the use of a larger screen if the pixels are "stretched out"?

I suppose such screens are meant to be viewed from a larger distance. Good if you have a large desk.

There are very few screens with a higher resolution than the above that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but I've found a few, for instance this one. It's a little pricier than I was planning on paying.
http://www.elgiganten.se/product/datorer-t...k-uhd-led-skarm

I bought this one a year ago: https://www.komplett.se/product/838080/dato...rasharp-u2515h# and like it a lot, but the high pixel density makes everything on screen look very small, so I had to increase the DPI font scaling to 120% in Windows (which doesn't work flawlessly in older Windows versions) and also increase my browser default zoom level. The AOC screen you link seems to have even higher pixel density than my Dell screen, so keep that in mind. If you play computer games, higher resolutions may also require a more powerful video card.

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 26 2016, 08:00 PM
Post #15

🌟Computer says no🌟

I was thinking of the monitor cable, parts of the motherboard, etc. Don't know anything about that myself.

Oh, that! Me, I'm well aware of the cable. cool.gif I thought you meant something more esoteric.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 26 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #16

🌟Computer says no🌟

CODE
I suppose such screens are meant to be viewed from a larger distance. Good if you have a large desk.

Maybe, but most screens are well over 20" now, so that's what people get. I do have a large desk and don't like to sit close to the monitor BTW.

I bought this one a year ago: https://www.komplett.se/product/838080/dato...rasharp-u2515h# and like it a lot, but the high pixel density makes everything on screen look very small, so I had to increase the DPI font scaling to 120% in Windows (which doesn't work flawlessly in older Windows versions) and also increase my browser default zoom level. The AOC screen you link seems to have even higher pixel density than my Dell screen, so keep that in mind. If you play computer games, higher resolutions may also require a more powerful video card.

Hmm. That's a point. As it has been so far for me each screen I've bought has been larger than the previous one and they must have had the right resolution for their size since text has always looked OK with default settings. Are you satisfied with the screen otherwise?

It sucks shops have so little in stock nowadays. It's hard to get to actually look at the stuff before you buy. I'd also like the screen to have a stand that can be adjusted in several directions, not just tilted as it usually is. I'm tired of adjusting my chair go get my head in the right level instead of just lowering or raising the screen.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 26 2016, 09:53 PM
Post #17

🌟Computer says no🌟

It really was quite stupid of me not to figure out the screen cap thing. It was the first thing I tried and I should have understood what it meant that the disturbance didn't show in the cap.

That's something to keep in mind. When one knows one isn't very good at something it's easy to get mental congestion and not even try to draw conclusions from the things one actually is capable of understanding.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 26 2016, 10:39 PM
Post #18

🌟Computer says no🌟

Found an interesting page here.
http://isthisretina.com/
You may also need this (the table).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_size#...mputer_monitors

My current monitor is 23.5" (according to my tape measure). I sit about 70 cm from it, closer when I lean forward to type. I should sit at least 94 centimeters from it. That AOC screen should be good at 56 cm and the sweat spot for your screen is 74 cm.

This was also enlightening (for me).
https://pcmonitors.info/articles/the-4k-uhd...160-experience/
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 27 2016, 09:06 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 27 2016, 02:12 AM) *

CODE

Maybe, but most screens are well over 20" now, so that's what people get.

Also it's usually the screen width that grows, not the height.

As it has been so far for me each screen I've bought has been larger than the previous one and they must have had the right resolution for their size since text has always looked OK with default settings.

I've noticed that images look smaller in every new monitor I've bought, e.g. my avatar on this forum is just 20x17mm large on my screen (without zooming). Each new generation of web sites use larger images to compensate, but it becomes noticeable on older sites.

Are you satisfied with the screen otherwise?

Haven't tested or calibrated it, but to my naked eye it looks great. The stand can be adjusted in lots of ways, including up/down.

I did get some software bugs after I bought it, can't say if it's my old Vista OS, or the drivers for the screen or video card. First the screen wouldn't wake up from energy save mode, but this was fixed after using an older video driver. I still often get a black Windows login screen, I can usually type in my password but can't see anything on the login screen.

It sucks shops have so little in stock nowadays. It's hard to get to actually look at the stuff before you buy.

Even then I've read that quality is not consistent between individual screens, especially in older models.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 27 2016, 09:14 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 27 2016, 04:39 AM) *

Found an interesting page here.
http://isthisretina.com/

That was a practical tool. When I shopped for my screen I had to do annoying manual calculations, because manufacturers wouldn't publish proper specs. dry.gif

Some good points there, especially about programs that can't be scaled. Some of my programs got blurred text with DPI scaling, so I've had to disable it for them individually (can be done by right-clicking the program short-cut > Properties > Compatibility).
User is offlinePM

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 01:31 AM