... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Incorrect sorting of the Scandinavian alphabets
Christian J
post Oct 23 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #1

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

Not only PHP sorts the Swedish letters å, ä and ö incorrectly, now I noticed that javascript does the same, and also in Danish and Norwegian. The arrays below should be in the correct order for each language:

CODE
window.onload=function()
{    
    var se=['å','ä','ö']; // Swedish
    var dk=['æ','ø','å']; // Danish, apparently same as Norwegian

alert(se.sort());
    alert(dk.sort());    
}

Note that Danish and Norwegian use a different order than Swedish. But in the sorted javascript alerts the Swedish letters are incorrectly sorted as "ä,å,ö", while Danish and Norwegian are (again incorrectly) sorted as "å,æ,ø". The same error appear in IE, Opera and Firefox. At least Opera's Norwegian creators should know their own alphabet, so am I correct in assuming that all three browser vendors deliberately follow some flawed convention?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Darin McGrew
post Oct 24 2006, 01:49 PM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

wouldn't a typical English-speaking user expect "å" and "ä" to be treated as "a", and "ö" to be treated as "o"?
I can't say whether I'm "a typical English-speaking user", but I would expect a Swedish page to sort Swedish names according to the normal Swedish rules for alphabetizing names. I would expect Danish and Norwegian pages to use the Danish and Norwegian alphabetizing rules (respectively). And so on.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:59 PM