The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What is the best alphabetizer to sort lines and paragraphs of text on a page?, or if not alphabetize, randomize will also work
JRBobDobbs
post Feb 18 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,212

Hello.

I am looking for an alphabetizer, something that will alphabetize various lines and paragraphs of text. A randomizer would also work. I have Googled "alphabetizer" but the only ones I could find were not what I need.

I will have paragraphs of text like so:

<a href="all paragraphs will start with ahref like this">title to be alphabetized</a>
<p>

As you can see, a standard alphabetizer will not work, because the first letters are part of the URL, and I want to sort by title. The alphabetizer would have to ignore the beginning of each entry starting from the opening <a href=" and ending at the ">

Additionally, I need an alphabetizer that will alphabetize entire paragraphs of text, not only lines of text. Because if it only works with lines, then since the <p> html code in the above example is on a separate line from the text above it, the alphabetizer treats it as a separate entry altogether. This wouldn't be a problem, except I have literally thousands of paragraphs to sort, so I don't want to have to manually input the <p> for each one.

I assume that it would be really quite simple, from a computer coding/making/technical/idon'tevenknowtheterm point of view, to create an alphabetizing program that could meet all my needs here. I assume that one already exists and that it is free, but I assume it is not too high in the Google pagerankings, as is often the case with the best free computer gadgets made by people who legitimately want to make everyone's life a little easier.

So... does anyone know of an awesome alphabetizer?! biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot in advance for any assistance you could offer.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:55 AM