Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drop down Form question
Doug
post Sep 15 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 139

I have a drop down form with about 10 options, they are PDF files. I would like them to open in a new window. Is that possible?

thanks
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Sep 15 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

What handles the form? JavaScript? In that case use window.open() instead of location.href in your script.

To open new windows isn't always a good idea. People often use popup blockers for this reason. I don't allow PDF or anything else to be opened "inside" the browser so people like me always get the PDF file in its own Reader window anyway.
User is offlinePM
Doug
post Sep 15 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(pandy @ Sep 15 2006, 11:30 AM) *

What handles the form? JavaScript? In that case use window.open() instead of location.href in your script.

To open new windows isn't always a good idea. People often use popup blockers for this reason. I don't allow PDF or anything else to be opened "inside" the browser so people like me always get the PDF file in its own Reader window anyway.

Thanks for the info.
Yes it is JavaScript that handles the form. I'm not locked into PDF files (These are the weekly bulletins from my local parish) they will be coming to me as a PageMaker file. I haven't made any desicion on how to deal with them yet....
I was thinking PDF because I know how to convert them to PDF's. If I don't have them in a new window, I don't see an easy way to get back to the drop down form agian.

A little wordy, but I'm just looking at options at this point.

Thanks
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Sep 15 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #4

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I recommend a simple list of links. Real links work when JavaScript is disabled/unavailable.

If you're concerned about people viewing the PDF documents in the browser and not knowing how to get back to the links (or to the JavaScript-dependent form), then you could suggest they use Shift-click (or whatever mechanism their browser supports) to open it in a new window. But if you try to force a new window, then people like pandy and me will get a new blank browser window, with the PDF displaying in a separate helper application.
User is offlinePM
Doug
post Sep 15 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #5

Thanks Pandy & Darin
I think a simple list of links is probably better for this application. If I think about it for awhile, I could even make it easy to add the new bulletins and push the older ones back in the list.

Thanks for the quick advice!
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:30 PM