The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WiX HTML and typewriter effect, Trying to make each 'sentence' start on a new line
moe46
post May 28 2017, 10:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,420

I need help. When it comes to being a newbie with HTML you can put me at #1. I have the below code and I am using it in a WiX site with their HTML code feature. It does not matter what I do as far as "br/", "/br", "/ br", and "br /" nothing makes each sentence go to a new line. I also included a screenshot of the result. How do I fix this? Thank you in advance.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<script src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.10.2.min.js"></script>
</head>
<body>
<span id="holder"></span>
<p class="effect">Good morning!<br/>Today we are going to learn about sounds.<br/>The first sound we will practice is “th”.<br/>Are you ready?</p>
</body>
<script>
(function($)
{
$.fn.writeText = function(content) {
var contentArray = content.split(""),
current = 0,
elem = this;
setInterval(function() {
if(current < contentArray.length) {
elem.text(elem.text() + contentArray[current++]);
}
}, 100);
};

})(jQuery);

$(".effect").each(function(index) {
var text = $( this ).text();
$(this).empty();
$(this).writeText(text);
});
//$("#holder").writeText("This is some text");

</script>
</html>

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post May 29 2017, 12:49 AM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

It works fine for me when I paste the markup you provided into an HTML file.
User is offlinePM
moe46
post May 29 2017, 07:25 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ May 29 2017, 12:49 AM) *

It works fine for me when I paste the markup you provided into an HTML file.

Thank you Mr. McGrew. Would you happen to have an idea on why it does not work properly on a WiX platform then?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 29 2017, 11:07 AM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

I fear no one here has experience with Wix.

I looked at their support pages and got the impression they offer ready made pages and that you can edit a little, but what you posted above is a complete HTML page. So, I'm a little confused.
User is offlinePM
moe46
post May 29 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(pandy @ May 29 2017, 11:07 AM) *

I looked at their support pages and got the impression they offer ready made pages and that you can edit a little, but what you posted above is a complete HTML page. So, I'm a little confused.

See, I'm a big time new comer to HTML and web pages. They have, I guess you can call it a plug-in, where you can paste HTML code into a page and then it shows. When I use the above code it does the typewriter effect. However it runs the sentences together and not on separate lines.
User is offlinePM
moe46
post May 29 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(moe46 @ May 29 2017, 06:58 PM) *

See, I'm a big time new comer to HTML and web pages. They have, I guess you can call it a plug-in, where you can paste HTML code into a page and then it shows. When I use the above code it does the typewriter effect. However it runs the sentences together and not on separate lines.

If it helps I took a video of what happens when I run a test of the HTML on a site I found. So far it works for you, which is confusing because it didn't for me. I am not able to upload the video here I can send it someone if they want to see.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 30 2017, 01:16 AM
Post #7

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(moe46 @ May 30 2017, 01:58 AM) *

In that case you shouldn't paste a complete page in with doctype, HTML and BODY tags. Because those are already there. You should just post the snip you want to show, like for instance the below.

CODE
<p class="effect">Good morning!<br/>Today we are going to learn about sounds.<br/>The first sound we will practice is “th”.<br/>Are you ready?</p>

I don't see how that could be the reason the BR tags went away though. unsure.gif

No, a video wouldn't help. But could you post the URL to your page with your paragraph in it? Then we would have a chance to see what has happened anyway.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:03 AM