Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using html pages to navigate on the shared drive
post Jun 30 2014, 10:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,176

Hi,
I do not have any experience with web development, so I'd really appreciate an advice on the following issue:
a team of about 10 users currently has lost of documentation (mainly MS Office files and PDFs) on a shared drive, organized into folders. They want to keep it there, but at the same time want to have some very simple system that would allow them to navigate documentation in a more efficient manner. They cannot install any s/w on that computer.
Would a few simple html files on the same shared drive, with some links to each other and links to relevant documents in each work?
The issue is that, as I mentioned I do not have any experience, so I do not know what possible problems may appear if we just create these pages, put them on that shared drive and share link to the main page with everyone in the office. So, comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Jun 30 2014, 09:05 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

I guess. Why not? You mean you want to create some kind of menu in HTML with links to the files and maybe a desciption of them, something like that?
User is offlinePM
post Jun 30 2014, 10:56 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(pandy @ Jun 30 2014, 09:05 PM) *

I guess. Why not? You mean you want to create some kind of menu in HTML with links to the files and maybe a desciption of them, something like that?

Yes, this is exactly what we need - simple menus with links and descriptions, no need to edit files, etc. This (a few html pages located on the shared drive) seems to be very easy to do and serves the purpose, I just wanted to make sure there I did not miss anything important here. So, thanks a lot for your help.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jul 1 2014, 05:41 AM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

The only thing I can think of is that the browser will treat this just like a download from the web. You'll get "What do you want to do with this file?" dialogues when appropriate.
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Jul 1 2014, 06:48 AM
Post #5

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 19,088

Actually, if this for a local file system, using Windows with IE then you could create a HTA file instead of a HTML. This way you could use VBScript or JavaScript to create WScript object and use the Run command to launch the selected file. Each link would need the onclick event to execute a function call, with the file name passed as an argument.

You could even use the FileSystemObject to parse the directories and create the links for you. This way you do not have to maintain any list of files, code could do it all.
User is offlinePM
post Jul 1 2014, 11:44 AM
Post #6

you could create a HTA file instead of a HTML

Thanks a lot, this is a good idea too.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:07 AM