The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old member who has been out of touch, My Crimson Editor is out of date :o)
James
post Jan 26 2012, 05:53 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 269

I have been a member of this site for a number of years but note that my last post was circa 1009/2010. I used to design Web pages for customers, using Crimson Editor to write my HTML code and CSS style sheets. I have been doing other things for the last 2-3 years, so I am rusty on my HTML (or is it XHML these days?) and my CSS knowledge is probably from the CSS1 days.

What I need advice on is as follows:
1. what is a good text editor to use to write HTML and CSS code? - not a WYSIWYG one, or one that does it all for you, but one where you type in the code and perhaps it colour codes those bits it recognises as valid commands, values, and attributes so you know you are on the right track ... or, indeed, are text editors a thing of the past, like me smile.gif ;
2. when I am brushing up on my CSS and HTML, which versions are in use these days and therefore which ones should I be studying?

I look forward to your advice and thanks in advance for it.

James
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Jan 26 2012, 08:32 AM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(James @ Jan 26 2012, 11:53 AM) *

I have been a member of this site for a number of years but note that my last post was circa 1009/2010.

Shame on you! But welcome back. happy.gif

I am rusty on my HTML (or is it XHML these days?)

Don't worry. XHTML came and went. It has been discontinued. The next rave is HTML5. Note that one must write that without space, unlike HTML 3.2, HTML 4.01 and so on. It shows how modern it is. tongue.gif

HTML 4.01 still works just fine.

What I need advice on is as follows:
[indent]1. what is a good text editor to use to write HTML and CSS code? - not a WYSIWYG one, or one that does it all for you, but one where you type in the code and perhaps it colour codes those bits it recognises as valid commands, values, and attributes so you know you are on the right track ... or, indeed, are text editors a thing of the past, like me smile.gif ;

Text editors will never go out of style. wub.gif A lot have syntax highlighting, but I don't know about marking out not valid HTML. I don't have anything to recommend because I think the choice of editor is very personal. What's the best for me isn't necessarily the best for you or Darin.

What's wrong with Crimson though? Why can't you continue to use it?
User is offlinePM
Frederiek
post Jan 26 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #3

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 9

It looks like Crimson (which apparently is for Windows OS only) practically does the same thing as BBEdit or TextWrangler on Mac. So, that seems ok to me.

As for CSS, we are at CSS3 now, though only the latest modern standards compliant browsers support (some of) its features. Have a look at http://css3generator.com/ . For the rest, you can safely use CSS 2.1.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jan 26 2012, 09:57 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(pandy @ Jan 26 2012, 02:32 PM) *

XHTML came and went. It has been discontinued. The next rave is HTML5.

Actually HTML5 lets you use both HTML and XHTML syntax. Seems you can even mix syntax in the same document (unless I missed something). wacko.gif

Note that one must write that without space, unlike HTML 3.2, HTML 4.01 and so on. It shows how modern it is. tongue.gif

unsure.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jan 26 2012, 02:39 PM
Post #5

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jan 26 2012, 03:57 PM) *

Actually HTML5 lets you use both HTML and XHTML syntax. Seems you can even mix syntax in the same document (unless I missed something). wacko.gif

Yes, I've learnt the same, to my great disappointment. :missing_puke_smilie:

Note that one must write that without space, unlike HTML 3.2, HTML 4.01 and so on. It shows how modern it is. tongue.gif

unsure.gif

Yeah? Haven't you noticed? Silly and irritating. I think I'll call it HTML 5 just because. mad.gif
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jan 27 2012, 04:46 PM
Post #6

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I like vim (vi improved), which has syntax highlighting and all sorts of other features. But choice of a text editor is a rather personal thing.

As pandy indicated, HTML 4.01 still works just fine. HTML5 looks interesting, and includes new functionality that could prove very useful. And it looks like it's getting more traction than HTML 3.0 (RIP) ever did. But unless you need HTML5 functionality and are prepared to deal with the quirks of early browser implementations, I see no reason to move on from HTML 4.01.

CSS 2.1 essentially documented the status quo of browser support when it was created, and is reasonably safe. CSS 3 is a collection of projects, each extending a different "module" of CSS 2.1. Browser support varies from module to module.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jan 27 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Jan 27 2012, 10:46 PM) *

But unless you need HTML5 functionality and are prepared to deal with the quirks of early browser implementations, I see no reason to move on from HTML 4.01.

Note that HTML5 doesn't replace HTML4.01, rather it builds on it, so there should be no problem using the much shorter HTML5 Doctype while still limiting yourself to the HTML4.01 (or XHTML1.0) elements.

One case where HTML5 is not totally backwards compatible with HTML4.01 might be the definition of phrase elements like U, S, B and I.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jan 27 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #8

🌟Computer says no🌟

Except there is no point in doing so.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jan 27 2012, 07:47 PM
Post #9

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Note that HTML5 doesn't replace HTML4.01, rather it builds on it, so there should be no problem using the much shorter HTML5 Doctype while still limiting yourself to the HTML4.01 (or XHTML1.0) elements.
Well, first I'd need to figure out how to run an HTML5 validator on my Mac, but yes, I could switch the doctype declaration but limit myself to HTML 4.01 initially.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jan 27 2012, 10:22 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(pandy @ Jan 28 2012, 01:09 AM) *

Except there is no point in doing so.

The short Doctype alone makes it worth the trouble to me. Just imagine the embarrasment when someone asks you to make a quick web page on their computer (where you don't have your own tools) and you need to google for the very first line of code already. laugh.gif (Skipping the Doctype is not an option, since the resulting quirksmode makes much of your CSS experience go out the window.)

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Jan 28 2012, 01:47 AM) *

Well, first I'd need to figure out how to run an HTML5 validator on my Mac

The WDG's online validator doesn't support HTML5 either (any plans for that, BTW?), which means everytime I recommend the HTML5 Doctype I must also include a note to use W3C's validator. Maybe I should stop recommending the HTML5 Doctype to save me all the typing...
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jan 28 2012, 09:49 AM
Post #11

🌟Computer says no🌟

So, for show-off reasons. tongue.gif

It has always been possible to type up a fake doctype to trigger Standards Mode. That's the reason the HTML5 one exists and looks like it does.
User is offlinePM
James
post Feb 8 2012, 10:08 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 269

Pandy, Christian, Darin, and Frederiek

Thank you all so much for your advice and help.

James
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 8 2012, 05:04 PM
Post #13

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jan 28 2012, 04:22 AM) *

The WDG's online validator doesn't support HTML5 either (any plans for that, BTW?), which means everytime I recommend the HTML5 Doctype I must also include a note to use W3C's validator. Maybe I should stop recommending the HTML5 Doctype to save me all the typing...

I suspect that adding support for HTML 5 isn't a simple task since there is no DTD.

James, I'm curious about why you want a new editor.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:19 PM